Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A "Dark" Mr. Darcy?

(10 Posts)
Jalima1108 Tue 22-Aug-17 12:25:19

I did like this Gabriel Oak, he was rather gorgeous I thought.

Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 09:48:48

We are planning to watch FFTMC at the weekend. I remember studying this for 'O' level English back in the day and loving the story. I missed the newish version of a few years back. It will be good to see an updated version.

When I have tracked back over the many version of P&P over the years, each one is a reflection of the times it is made in, whether that is because of the hair / make-up, choice of location, particular camera work -angles and lighting ... every version is not as 'timeless' as the word 'classic' suggests.

I wonder who the new 'edgy' Mr D might be???

Anniebach Tue 22-Aug-17 09:04:19

I watched Far From The Madding Crowd on Sunday , liked this Bathsheba, didn't like Julie Christie but oh Terence Stamp and Alan Bates no one can replace them

Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 08:49:10

A bit behind the times with this as we have been away on holiday, but agree with many others that the Colin Firth/ Jennifer Ehle P&P was beautifully done ... a best friend and I discovered by default that we had both ruined our video copies (c.1996) by pausing too often at the wet shirt scene ha ha ha!

However, I won't be 'writing off' the new version before I see it. I empathise with the OP over the seemingly endless 'drive to improve' and tbh I don't expect it to replace the Colin Firth version of Mr D in my affections, but it will be interesting to see - if only to have a good moan afterwards grin.

I recently saw an Old Vic production of Jane Eyre where St John Rivers was played by a female. There were evidently enough male cast members to have covered the role so no doubt some clever feminist / artistic point was being made, but it simply distracted my attention from the storyline and therefore irritated me.

#practisinggrumpynannyskills

gulligranny Fri 11-Aug-17 18:54:16

Oh yes Deedaa, I'm not going to be bothering with the new Far From The Madding Crowd. I really enjoyed the one with Nathaniel Parker as Gabriel Oak which was on not so many years ago, but this new version is definitely not my cup of tea.

hildajenniJ Wed 09-Aug-17 22:26:22

I'm currently watching the Colin Firth P&P all over again on Netflix. I love it, it's my favourite Jane Austen book. Why meddle with it?

Iam64 Wed 09-Aug-17 22:08:15

That's my favourite p and p as well cheese.

Deedaa Wed 09-Aug-17 21:31:13

I liked the 60s? version with Alan Badel as Mr. Darcy. I suppose I particularly enjoyed it as I hadn't read the book then and it was all new.

Saw a trailer for the new version of Far From the Madding Crowd. The Bathsheba looks very irritating and 21st century. But then I didn't like the book or the film (except for Terence Stamp of course)

Ilovecheese Wed 09-Aug-17 15:28:32

I think Pride and Prejudice is such a good story that lots of film/programme makers want to have a go at it. They can't make it just the same as the last one so have to put their own stamp on it. if they stray far from the book I'm sure they will be severely criticised. My perfect version of P & P is the one with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth, but there are probably other people who like an earlier version.

gulligranny Wed 09-Aug-17 15:19:28

Anyone else's heart sink at the news that Pride & Prejudice is to be re-worked and made "edgier" ? I love it just the way it is, thanks. And I've never forgiven ITV for ruining my beloved Forsyte Saga; honestly, Irene as a mouthy brunette?!

Why this fixation on trying to improve what is perfect to start with? There's plenty of modern fiction that could be adapted, and surely there's room for it all.