Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Levison Wood

(11 Posts)
NanKate Thu 24-Aug-17 06:59:49

Started to watched Levison Wood's latest trek from Russia To Iran. If you haven't seen Levison before you are in for a treat. BBC I think.

The landscapes are stunning, if bleak at times. He is offered hospitality in tiny villages, goes to a wedding reception and is interrogated by local police. All of life is here.

Did I mention he is very handsome too wink

gillybob Thu 24-Aug-17 07:56:52

Channel 4 I think NanKate . smile
I have followed all of Levison Woods's treks and have always thoroughly enjoyed them. This one is going to be no different. Already very exciting. Looking forward to episode 2 this Sunday. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen any of his other programs.

NanKate Thu 24-Aug-17 09:22:09

Thanks Gilly I wouldn't want anyone to go off in the wrong direction ?

Tegan2 Thu 24-Aug-17 10:06:37

I love his programmes, although must admit to not enjoying the last one as much as usual. This one has already got off to a good start.

gillybob Thu 24-Aug-17 10:19:58

Sitting around that table drinking copious amounts of vodka all the time being watched like a hawk by those secret service agents must've been terrifying and hugely exciting at the same time.

Tegan2 Thu 24-Aug-17 21:37:25

Think this must be because I'm really tired from all the garden/garage/shed work I've been doing but I just had an image of Levison and Joanna Lumley doing a travel programme together [probably because they're the only two people that seem to do travel programmes these days].

lemongrove Thu 31-Aug-17 14:16:47

He really is very good at bringing the human touch to this sort of programme.It helps that he looks like a young version of George Clooney.I liked Rashid, the Russian guide too, pity that he couldn't travel any further.The scenery is spectacular.

Tegan2 Thu 31-Aug-17 15:34:39

I don't think he's going to get on as well with his new guide [who seems totally crazy!]. I'm really enjoying this new series.

Tegan2 Thu 31-Aug-17 15:37:46

Does anyone remember Benedict Allen who made similar series a few years back? I loved his programmes [especially the one with the camel; you can't beat camels in travel programmes; they're always so entertaining].What always strikes me in these programmes is how warm and hospitable people are in these countries, albeit having far less than we do. We travelled across Europe to Greece by train many years ago and were struck by how people we travelled with always offered their food to their fellow travellers.

lemongrove Thu 31-Aug-17 20:48:53

Yes, I watch almost all travel programmes and the Benedict
Allen series was very good too.
I am a serial armchair traveller and have been everywhere without removing my slippers! ?
It reminds us how different lives are, even if we can fly there in a few hours.
Levison Wood Is certainly going to some potentially dangerous countries.

Nezumi65 Thu 31-Aug-17 21:10:50

I love Lev. Have watched all his series (worth catching up on if you haven't seen). And yes very easy on the eye smile