Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Educating Manchester

(7 Posts)
trisher Fri 01-Sep-17 10:24:04

Watched this and felt so emotional. From the lovely Jack who befriended Rani and was the most adorable young man, whose mum must be so proud of him, to the year 11 Kurdish boy who had waited 4 years to hear if he could stay here and the cousins who were at the Manchester Arena when there was a bomb attack, it was heart rending. There was a funny side - the teacher disciplining boys for writing on the van while admitting privately it was quite funny. I'm really looking forward to another like Educating Yorkshire.

Eloethan Fri 01-Sep-17 13:02:47

I must admit I go a bit tired of this programme. I thought as lot of the young people played up to the camera and I found it irritating.

However, having read your account of it trisher I think I'll watch it - it sounds good.

lemongrove Fri 01-Sep-17 13:21:57

I soon got tired with watching the playing to the cameras of the whole 'cast' of Educating Yorkshire, from the children, dinner ladies and teachers, so this programme would have to be a whole lot better.
That's the trouble with fly on the wall style tv, the fly has a camera and everybody knows it.

trisher Fri 01-Sep-17 14:24:05

Well t sounds as if you haven't been in a school lately lemongrove what struck me about EY was that the situations were so similar to many I have seen. The young man for example who was promised he could go to his school prom if he managed to stay in school and didn't manage it (you just knew he wouldn't, I've seen so many children like him). Perhaps what you don't realise lg is that much of teaching and disciplining children is a 'performance'. Something that came over well in EM with the van incident. Once you lose that ability to portray control and confidence you are in deep water.

grannymouse303 Mon 04-Sep-17 15:24:54

Oh that reminds me I still need to watch this!! Loved Educating Essex.

TriciaF Mon 04-Sep-17 15:55:30

I haven't seen it yet - hope I can still catch an episode.
I spent 2 school terms as a supply teacher in ?1960 in a secondary school in a slum area of Salford. Following a couple of years in Co. Durham and Clapham Junction.
I had to teach my class of 14 yr olds all basic subjects. There were very few textbooks, so I had to set the maths problems the night before. I remember a very clever young lad coming up to me and saying quietly "Miss you've got the wrong answer here." He was right.
There was such a range of abilities in that big class.
The Manchester/Salford children were much less sophisticated than the London children in those days.
Then I got pregnant with my first.

Franbern Wed 06-Sep-17 10:30:26

I thought the first of this Educating Manchester was really excellent. I actually cried through quite a lot of it. What a lovely young lad is Jack....
Must have been so difficult for the school and the production team that this was being filmed during the time the bomb outrage took place in Manchester, and how worrying for all the staff as to which of their pupils had been caught up in it.
So many dedicated staff doing such a wonderful job. I am full of admiration and really looking forward to the rest of this series.