Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Manchester-by-the-Se a

(9 Posts)
maryeliza54 Sun 10-Sep-17 12:52:26

I caught up with this last night and was completely blown away by its maturity, depth and intelligence. Has anyone else seen it? The two male leads were stunning

pensionpat Sun 10-Sep-17 13:02:54

Yes. IT was excellent. I could watch it again.

henetha Sun 10-Sep-17 15:04:05

Yes, an outstandingly good film. Highly recommended.
I loved it.

mcem Sun 10-Sep-17 15:23:35

The last film I saw with my dear friend, a real film buff. We were enthralled by it and she gave me the soundtrack for my birthday.
She died suddenly last month and that soundtrack was the background music as we celebrated her life.

Eloethan Sun 10-Sep-17 16:36:59

I've seen this for sale in the supermarket but have avoided it because I'd read somewhere that it was very depressing. Having read these comments, I think I'll buy it.

TerriBull Sun 10-Sep-17 17:30:30

It is depressing and terribly sad but well acted especially Casey Afleck in the leading role which earned him an Oscar for Best Actor I believe.

maryeliza54 Tue 12-Sep-17 06:46:32

I wouldn't use the word depressing - but it's certainly not the usual Hollywood- happy-ever-after rubbish. There are some really comic moments and one liners that made me laugh out loud and there is a scene with his ex-wife which almost reduced me to tears. I think for me overall it was the way the viewer was treated as intelligent - you had to 'work' at watching - it wasn't spelled out for you.

JackyB Tue 12-Sep-17 11:36:43

I watched it on the flight to California back in June. It kept my attention - was exactly the kind of film I like. Much better than Lalaland which I gave up on after about 15 minutes.

Manchester by the Sea was a story on many levels, and, although it was difficult to identify with the violent side of the Casey Affleck character, it drew a few tears and was very close to life in many details.

maryeliza54 Tue 12-Sep-17 11:53:53

His violence took me aback to start with but when I realised the dreadful burden he was carrying, it made sense. Don't want to put in any spoilers