Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Corrie

(19 Posts)
schnackie Mon 23-Oct-17 21:50:48

Sorry about this but I record and watch every episode of Coronation Street, but somehow I have missed something. I thought Steve and Leanne were together and tonight he's on a dating site and I haven't seen her for ages! Thanks.

tanith Mon 23-Oct-17 21:54:36

We were questioning ourselves for the same reason, curious!

NotTooOld Mon 23-Oct-17 22:29:00

Now you come to mention it.....yes, Steve and Leanne were together weren't they? Didn't they decide it would only work as friends, though? Goodness knows where she's gone. It always amazes me that the inhabitants of Soapland can get flights off to anywhere at the drop of a hat, usually on the same day they decide to go. Then they just disappear off into the sunset with a bag seemingly all packed and ready to go.

gillybob Mon 23-Oct-17 23:02:12

I was confused too but DH says that Steve asked Leeane to marry him and she didn't say yes...........(Or no) confused

suzied Tue 24-Oct-17 06:26:56

I think they were briefly engaged but then she changed her mind. Can’t stand the Phelan storyline. Totally unbelievable.

Charleygirl Tue 24-Oct-17 11:22:27

I agree suzied it has been going on for so long and I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel.

For people unemployed they spend a lot of time dining out.

I am finding the diction so bad when the younger actors are on that I have to put on sub titles.

glammanana Tue 24-Oct-17 11:26:46

They decided to remain friends but can't help as to where she has gone,maybe to visit her mother Janice for some parenting advice as her poor child has no idea who is daddy is ?? The Phelan story is totally unbelievable imo who got paid for writing that story line?
I wonder how many children have gone upstairs to wash their hands never to be seen again.

Leonora47 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:28:49

I have watched Corrie from the very first episode, and remember a handsome, young Ken Barlow returning to The Street with his newly acquired English degree.
But even a hard-core fan like me can only take so much. The Pat Phelan story line is so ridiculously unbelievable that I simply can't justify my credulity at watching such guff.
I've lost track of all the complicated relationships between the characters,
and have also lost my ability to, "suspend
disbelief" in the so-called drama.
That's it! Farewell Corrie! I am un-friending you after sixty-something
years.

Greenfinch Tue 24-Oct-17 13:48:11

It has become a very violent programme.And silly too.Would Dev and Gina really have come downstairs in the afternoon all dishevelled into the middle of Sally's posh party ?

Willow500 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:57:42

Bad as the soaps have got with totally unbelievable storylines I just can't help watching (Corrie & Emmerdale). The Pat Phelan prisoner in the cellar is ridiculous - it's now getting even dafter swapping said prisoner for another! They need another tram crash to bring the house down with them all in it!

schnackie Tue 24-Oct-17 15:55:10

Thank you all so much for your messages! I too, only watch Corrie and Emmerdale but agree that the storylines are just really absurd! I'll hang in though, cause I live alone and don't have enough to do, ha ha!

NotTooOld Tue 24-Oct-17 16:22:09

I've also been watching from episode one so I can't stop now even though it has become ridiculous of late. Does Phelan really believe Andy is going to remain in that house guarding another hostage? Willow is right, we need another tram crash killing off at least half the characters (but not Daniel, please) and ending some of the nonsensical story lines.

gillybob Tue 24-Oct-17 17:19:46

I wish the Phelan story line would hurry up and end . It's really irritating. I like the character of Daniel too NotTooOld he's a bit of a tortured soul and would have been very happy with Sinead if his horrible/ holier than thou, dad hadn't stuck his nose in . I'm sure Sinead is not in love with that wet blanket Chesney.

It's not real . It's not real. It's not real .....

stayanotherday Tue 24-Oct-17 17:20:29

My nan used to enjoy Emmerdale and Corrie and yes you have to have interesting and drama to keep it interesting but nan enjoyed the humour, escapism and lives of ordinary folks. I don't watch soaps because they're nasty, violent, predictable and too adult. There's too much bickering and one-upmanship.

I watched a programme about Jean Alexander who played Hilda Ogden who said she no longer liked the modern Corrie for the same reasons.

stayanotherday Tue 24-Oct-17 17:25:07

Schnackie - I understand. Could you watch films, read books or find something interesting on the radio? Podcasts on the BBC and YouTube are good. I listen to Radio 4 comedies.

Ilovecheese Tue 24-Oct-17 17:25:10

agree with you gillybob

Jane10 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:13:56

I just love it. No excuses.blush

suzied Tue 24-Oct-17 18:54:03

I watched Corrie with my Mum and Dad and remember the young Ken Barlowand Albert Tatlock, Elsie Tanner etc. Happy days. I still watch but it’s not as good!

Iam64 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:58:50

I clicked on to read this thread to see whether its' safe for me to return to Corrie. I stopped watching about 18 months ago, maybe longer, when Fay (if that's the right name), the 12 or 13 year old adopted child of Anna, birth daughter of Tim was pregnant. That story line, along with Simon attacking Leanne just proved too much for me.
I loved Corrie, had watched since the first episode. I enjoyed the humour, pathos and brilliant acting. It lost its way and doesn't seem able to find its way home. All these ridiculous on/off relationships, no boundaries in relationships etc. Very unpleasant!