Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC 4, Just breathe

(12 Posts)
Auntieflo Wed 25-Oct-17 09:27:58

Breathe in:-
I spent a lovely evening last night watching a glass jug being made, in real time, The Gardeners of Kabul and then a Silk Weavers family. No violence, intrusive music or voice overs, just seeing things of beauty.
And Breathe out.

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 09:32:49

Oh bum missed it.

I love those.

I’ve watched the canal, (delightful) the sleigh ride (gorgeous) and the bus ride (happy memories)

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 09:34:09

Did watch the thing about DownsidecAbbey which was along those lines, and enjoyed that.

merlotgran Wed 25-Oct-17 09:39:02

I didn't see it last night but watched the one on Monday night about a year in a garden.

As far as peace, tranquillity and relaxation were concerned I was disappointed. The intrusive sci-fi style music didn't go with the subject and the jerky time lapse photography would have brought on a migraine if I hadn't turned my head away.

The garden was lovely though.

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 09:49:19

Oh did you see the canal etc merlot ? No sound at all simply what you would hear on the journey. 2 glorious peaceful hours.

merlotgran Wed 25-Oct-17 10:09:58

I didn't see it, ww but heard about it. Was it on a few months ago?

Luckygirl Wed 25-Oct-17 10:10:16

merlot - I had to switch off the garden one as flickering brings on a migraine - it slightly detracted from what was a great idea for a programme.

Auntieflo - what channel were those programmes on?

And the Downside Abbey?

Luckygirl Wed 25-Oct-17 10:10:56

Ah......I have just spotted the title of the thread! smile

CherryHatrick Wed 25-Oct-17 14:47:42

I was looking forward to watching the Downside Abbey programme, but was so irritated by the playacting that I could not enjoy it. I was expecting to see the monks going about their daily routine, but it was so stage managed it was untrue. Father Michael goes into the Refectory for breakfast, alone, takes the lid off the Burco boiler of a porridge pot and removes about a tablespoonful of porridge and puts it into his soup plate. He makes a second trip to collect a spoon, goes to the table, stands while he goes through the performance of blessing himself and the food before sitting then chasing the porridge around the plate raising mustard-spoonful amounts to his mouth. Next he goes to the Sacristy and puts his overalls on while another monk chases imaginary dust with a broom. We are then meant to believe he is carving the letter E of an inscription into a piece of furniture that has obviously already been finished, waxed and polished....and don't get me started on Christopher the Malteser and his bread making sequence!

minesaprosecco Wed 25-Oct-17 14:52:17

Think you were watching a different programme from me Cherry! I thought the monks were a little self conscious but that was all. The 'action' seemed authentic to me.

whitewave Wed 25-Oct-17 14:56:53

Oh yes I do see what you mean cherry and I guess it was stage managed, but in our younger married days we lived near a catholic abbey of nuns. We DH and I were invited for afternoon tea with the children as a baby and toddler. The nuns behaved in just the same way. In fact one of their comments has always stuck with me. One of the sisters Julianne was responsible for answering the door. “I have been so busy today, the door bell has rung 6 Times for me to answer it.

CherryHatrick Wed 25-Oct-17 15:01:29

I was really looking forward to it minesa, but how does half a jar of flour (may have been bread mix as there was no sign of yeast or salt) mixed with a full jug of water, stirred with a wooden spoon and covered with a dubious looking teatowel become a loaf that is supposed to provide 14 monks with a pound of bread each? Another miracle? grin