Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Crown is back!!!

(31 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 08-Dec-17 23:17:01

Yippee I have been looking forward to this for ages and it didn't disappoint. Loved it. It's on Netflix in case anyone didn't realize. And no waiting between episodes either. We can sod the housework and enjoy a marathon if we like. Claire Foy is more like the Queen than the Queen is imho. It's brilliant ?

mostlyharmless Tue 12-Dec-17 21:12:22

I must admit that I don't find the Queen Mother at all convincing. Quite disappointing. But generally it's very well cast and acted. And the settings and costumes are fantastic.

mostlyharmless Tue 12-Dec-17 21:07:01

We seem to be allowed to share DD1's Netflix account on the grounds that the grandchildren can watch kids films when they come to stay. (And DD had a spare Amazon Fire stick.)

Meanwhile we have been getting a lot of use of it ourselves in the month we've had it! Most days really!

The Crown series 1 and now series 2 of course. Plus I watched an episode of "Suits" featuring Meghan Markle and have become addicted to that! (Seven series of that!) My excuse is a bad cold and then being snowed in for days! Netflix is a bit too addictive really.

merlotgran Tue 12-Dec-17 20:31:29

None of us was a fly on the palace walls but we know that a lot of it is factually true because we lived through each era and many events have been well documented.

Dramatically I think it's brilliant. Nobody is interested in the boring parts of royal life so they focus on the speculative elements which in Prince Philip's case is an open book because nobody has ever 'kissed and told' therefore we have to draw our own conclusions.

I have read that there is anger from some royal biographers about inaccuracies in his Greek back story including his sister's death in a plane crash but I haven't got to that bit.......yet!

Up to episode 5 now - trying to pace myself grin

HurdyGurdy Tue 12-Dec-17 19:47:17

Grandma70s - I was wondering last night (as I forced myself to switch off netflix and not watch episode 3 of series 2 as I had to go to work today!!) just how much of it was fictionalised for dramatic effect, and how much was true.

I will have a google and see if I can find the article you referred to.

It really does show the loneliness of the Queen's life, doesn't it?

Liz46 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:33:11

We've seen it all now and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was sad when it came to the last one.

Iam64 Tue 12-Dec-17 18:58:34

silver, Netflix is about £7 a month. Cheaper than a box set and such very good value. I'm embarrassed to say how much I enjoy Netflix, binge watching various things I missed on proper tv.
Breaking Bad remains my real favourite but I'm enjoying so many other things (the Crown of course)

whitewave Tue 12-Dec-17 16:41:36

Box set silver give yourself a treat for Christmas.

We do that with GOT - treat ourselves every year over Christmas to watch a series. There’s one in the book case waiting for us to watch over Christmas .

silverlining48 Tue 12-Dec-17 16:37:13

We dont have Netflix and not sure how you get it and cost. Also no sky, only freeview, , so it doesn't look like we will be able to see the crown. Feeling disappointed.

Grandma70s Tue 12-Dec-17 13:08:25

There was an interesting article in the Times (I think) saying which parts were true and which were invented to make it more dramatic. It’s not a documentary, just fictional drama loosely based on fact.

merlotgran Mon 11-Dec-17 10:59:30

Ha Ha, Iam. We watched a bit more late last night and couldn't resist mimicking the speech as we put the house to bed - or should that be hice?

'Shell wun put the ket out after the dogs have gorn out?'

'Hev you switched the TV orf?' grin

I am disappointed with the actor playing Tony Armstrong Jones as the real one was considered drop dead gorgeous when I was a teenager. This one's too tall and no sex appeal at all.

Iam64 Mon 11-Dec-17 07:59:16

I watched two more episodes last night, reaching the point where Prince P is sent off on a tour and Princess Margaret's hopes to marry Townsend are dashed. The events portrayed are part of our living history. I remember mum encouraging dad to apply for a posting to the Police in Aden where wages were better. She was also keen to travel. Dad's response was he'd travelled during the war, been shot at etc and had no desire to go through that again thank you.
As well as the history the politics, I'm enjoying the scenery, the clothes and that crisp way of talking - without any swearing!

merlotgran Sun 10-Dec-17 20:10:58

We were effectively homeless due to the Suez crisis. Dad had been posted to Aden and we were all set to sail out on the SS Nevasa to join him but the blocking of the canal prevented that.

We had already vacated our married quarter so had to move in with grandparents for four months while we waited for a flight.

I do wish they hadn't given Prince Charles a Beatle haircut. He looks more like the Artful Dodger than the stiff and formal little boy with a rigid side parting.

J52 Sun 10-Dec-17 18:31:25

Just finished a binge ( snowed in, a bit) weekend of series two. Using a free Netflix offer.
I also like the historical references. I was very small during the Suez Crisis and had never really understood it. I’m going to do some research into it now.

Anniebach Sat 09-Dec-17 21:57:42

Watched the first two episodes , didn't like it

maryeliza54 Sat 09-Dec-17 16:00:12

That was to Grandma

maryeliza54 Sat 09-Dec-17 15:59:27

Netflix often have a free trial period on offer - you could sign up, watch the Crown and then cancel

NanaandGrampy Sat 09-Dec-17 15:58:16

I loved it and we’re in the binge watching group.

Watched 2 episodes last night and really got a feel for the loneliness of the role of queen. Excellent stuff!

whitewave Sat 09-Dec-17 11:24:40

I’m going to watch series 1 again and then go into 2. That’s me sorted for a few Christmas evenings.

We have also treated ourselves to series 6 of GOT so bliss all round

grannysyb Sat 09-Dec-17 11:21:24

Loving second series! Netflix has other good stuff, we found a brilliant series about American civil war which I found absolutely riveting.

Teetime Sat 09-Dec-17 10:18:47

Looking forward to watching this weekend. First series was wonderful TV - I got totally lost in it.

merlotgran Sat 09-Dec-17 09:41:26

I would definitely watch series 1, suzied because it's not just about the royal family, it's a whole chunk of our social history. I found the episode about the London smog interesting.

merlotgran Sat 09-Dec-17 09:37:48

That's the problem Iam, I watched the first hour late last night and was about to switch off when it said, 'The next episode begins in.....3..2..1...'

It took me all my will power to go to bed. grin

My record was three hours worth during series 1.

whitewave Sat 09-Dec-17 08:29:36

I figured it was cheaper than the box set grandma as you only need to pay a month £7.

whitewave Sat 09-Dec-17 08:28:16

I would watch series 1 first to begin at the beginning as it were smile

I joined Netflix to watch it and I did enjoy it so will join up again to watch series 2

suzied Sat 09-Dec-17 08:28:11

If you have a friend or family member with Netflix they can put their account on your tv and you can watch it- the only downside is they can’t watch Netflix on their tv at the same time you are watching it on yours- you’d have to negotiate timings, maybe if they’re going on holiday?