Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Corrie

(35 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-17 14:44:07

I used to be a Corrie watcher but lately it’s got too silly and violent so I only dip in and out However over the last few months every time I put it on there’s someone in hospital
There might be more than I ve seen but to name some Ken Barlow, his grandson Adam, Pat, Eileen, Chesney, Robert, Rita, Mary’s baby grandson Anna, Seb, Summer, Billy, Tod I bet I ve missed some out .......any more ?

Jane10 Fri 02-Feb-18 20:52:51

Excellent plan Lynnebo! I read some spoilers today though and it doesn't seem like the writers thought of that...

Lynnebo Fri 02-Feb-18 19:44:27

What if ..... Phelan dies and Carla gets his kidney??
Just thinking out loud here grin

Iam64 Thu 01-Feb-18 08:47:45

Having caught up with this thread, I'm reassured that giving up Corrie is a Good Thing. It was such a good soap, pathos, humour, tragedy but all around characters we could believe in. Not any more.

BlueBelle Thu 01-Feb-18 08:32:57

And even kidneys again wasn’t that Tracey’s problem years ago can’t they find a new illness for Carla

suzied Thu 01-Feb-18 08:21:40

I’ve seen the actor who played Martin running a cheese stall in Wilmslow. Is he still doing that?

Jane10 Thu 01-Feb-18 07:50:47

I gather that Martin the universal nurse is coming back soon. It was amazing how many wards and departments he seemed to be simultaneously working in.

Maggiemaybe Wed 31-Jan-18 23:37:01

I haven’t seen it tonight, but I guess she’s in that single room kept especially for Coronation Street residents, and recently vacated by Eileen, Billy, Chesney, etc, etc. They’d better get a few more beds made up for the boxing night casualties coming up soon.

BlueBelle Wed 31-Jan-18 20:40:45

Now we ve got Carla in hospital the scriptwriters are obsessed with hospital

Maggiemaybe Mon 29-Jan-18 23:32:27

Now I've got to say that I think this Eva/Toyah secret handing over of baby plan has got to be the daftest yet. It has more holes in it than a colander, and would never, ever, work for so many reasons. Besides which, I already have enough trouble working out all the tangled relationships and who's a blood relative of whom in all the various households, without this being added to the mix.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jan-18 13:25:27

I agree Pat is a great actor he really comes over as a believable baddie but I can’t wait for it to be over how many more bodies can we tolerate I read somewhere Annie was a goner but if she stays inside she can’t be can she, yes it is desperate writing now like each programme has got to be more shocking than the last,

Eloethan Mon 29-Jan-18 13:19:26

I too continue to watch it even though I despair at some of the ridiculous storylines and characters. I cannot bear Brian or Kathy, with their exaggerated gestures and facial expressions.

I think many of the actors are still pretty good but I don't envy them trying to bring some credibility and realism to ludicrous plots.

Perhaps once Phelan is exposed as a serial murderer, I will at last feel there is no reason to keep watching! (I agree he is very menacing and a great actor).

It seems to me that many of these scriptwriters (no doubt most of them have undertaken screenwriting courses at university) do not understand that introducing dozens of over-dramatic and unrealistic storylines does not produce quality drama but comes across as rather desperate and silly.

henetha Mon 29-Jan-18 10:55:02

I can't give up on Corrie no matter how daft it gets as I love it too much. It's harmless entertainment for my little brain.
I'm longing to know how the Phelan story line will end.
He's got to get his come-uppance soon, surely. I will miss him though, he's an interesting character played by a good actor.

Grandma2213 Mon 29-Jan-18 01:22:10

I think Corrie must be a good training ground for actors. A lot of them go onto greater things it seems. Sarah Lancashire, Suranne Jones and Katherine Kelly spring to mind. There are many more who pop up both on TV and in the theatre.

BlueBelle I love Tim too. Joe Duttine who plays him is the nephew of John Duttine who I also loved.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jan-18 17:42:37

I think Tim is underestimated he’s actually a good actor and deals some real deadpan lines

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jan-18 17:38:44

They are, suzied. I like the running joke about them being late to every wedding because they, er, get caught up in the moment. grin There was a bit of comedy running last year about the recycling schedule - even when a couple were meeting in the back ginnel for some serious plotting, they’d glance at the bins and start the conversation with something like “I thought recycling was last week?”. Very true to life round our way!

suzied Sun 28-Jan-18 09:50:45

Sally and nice-but-dim Tim are a good double act.

Maggiemaybe Sun 28-Jan-18 09:46:14

I still enjoy it, even though some of the characters are exasperating (yes, I’m looking at you, Anna) and some of the storylines are ridiculous. There is still some good comic banter, though we haven’t seen so much of Mary, etc lately. Gail and Audrey had some funny lines this week. I’m hoping for a quick and very dramatic end to the Phelan story.

Christinefrance Sun 28-Jan-18 09:03:53

I'm with you gillybob I still watch every episode, I know some story lines are not credible but I still find it entertaining. Time to bring the Phelan storyline to a close now though. I do find Anna annoying, she is such a moaner and never seems to learn when to keep her mouth shut.

gillybob Sun 28-Jan-18 08:51:35

Nicola was never in Australia though was she ? She just said she was going. Didn’t Phelan sit outside a flat/house watching her? He is clearly a psychopath......and as for Eileen she deserves everything coming to her. How could anyone be so damned blind and stupid.

I wish it would hurry up and come to a conclusion although I’m sure I read a spoiler that said he murdered Anna, so maybe she gets out on appeal or something?

It’s rubbish I know but its entertaining rubbish. smile

suzied Sun 28-Jan-18 08:30:32

But there’s an interesting twist in the Nicola- Gary story, so maybe Phelan is about to get his overdue come uppance.

Bellasnana Sun 28-Jan-18 07:52:30

I agree with all your comments, I’m fed up with the ludicrous storylines too.

Poor Anna being banged up for five years on the flimsiest of ‘evidence’ was the final straw.

All the children in the street are rude and cocky, Faye, Simon, Amy, I cringe at the way they speak to adults.

The classic Corrie episodes are so much more entertaining and were more a reflection of real life, or maybe I’m just getting old smile

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jan-18 07:34:36

Well it’s all got so silly now I only watch it if I m bored
Pat Phelan storylines having three murders to his name and carrying on as normal, his ‘daughter’ (that was totally daft) I thought she was in Australia suddenly appearing The Todd/ Summer/ Billy/ Geraldine story... Eva and her many men Now we have Bethany shaking in fear of men one minute but performing confidently in a lap dancing club the next
Sorry Corrie you have turned into a far fetched farce

Grandma2213 Sun 28-Jan-18 03:23:46

I watch both Emmerdale and Coronation Street for relatively quick and easy entertainment, though occasionally there are some relevant and beautifully presented storylines such as Bethany's abuse and Ashley's illness and death. There are moments of humour mixed with the pathos, pretty much like Shakespeare's plays. Like them I think they present a picture of the modern world but exaggerated. Personally I can't watch Eastenders as it does not seem to have this structure and is all gloom.

Maybe as a Northerner I am biased!

Lovetopaint037 Sat 27-Jan-18 23:47:24

I imagine the script writers meeting to discuss the way plots should work out and then forgetting some of them. Where is so and so, what happened to that body? It’s almost if the plots got started and another writer takes over and hasn’t got a clue. Later on someone remembers and they try to tie up a few ends eg that Phelan keeping that Andy in a basement when we had all but forgotten about him and then the ham fisted deletion of the problem by apparently disposing of him and Phelan’s partner into the depths of a murky river! Where is the likes of Elsie Tanner, Ena Sharplee, Deidrie etc etc.? Thank goodness for Kirk etc.

Squiffy Wed 27-Dec-17 19:46:53

Used to love the repartee and banter, but now that’s almost disappeared.

Also, does anyone know what happened to Phelan’s wife? (The one before Eileen) Concrete overcoat? Under a patio?