Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Jane Grey BBC4

(19 Posts)
Tegan2 Wed 10-Jan-18 19:59:14

Second part tonight. Not sure if it's a repeat [don't think it is]. Thought it was a part of history that I knew quite well, but it's really fascinating. The Times ridiculed it by saying the re enactments were pantomimic [sp] but I'm enjoying that stuff as I'm not very good at imagining things for myself.

GrandmaMoira Wed 10-Jan-18 20:12:09

I agree, I thought I knew that part of history well but the programme's brought up things I didn't know.

Parsleywin Wed 10-Jan-18 23:36:03

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this as I've recorded it, but was slightly discouraged by similarly negative comments in the Radio Times. I will watch it, despite those 'experts'!

I've just enjoyed reading The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory, about Jane Grey and her two younger sisters.

chelseababy Thu 11-Jan-18 07:37:03

Oh thanks for this - I hadn't realised it was on.

gillybob Thu 11-Jan-18 08:01:52

Hoping to get this on catch up . Thanks for the reminder Tegan . I got The Last Tudor for Christmas. Can’t wait to start it .

chelseababy Thu 11-Jan-18 08:13:54

Couldn't find it - what time was it on please?

chelseababy Thu 11-Jan-18 08:37:18

Oh it's 9pm sorry!

morethan2 Thu 11-Jan-18 09:45:01

Thanks for the thumbs up Tegan I love this era of history. If you hadn’t flagged it I’d have missed it. Great to watch on this glum grey day.

nightowl Thu 11-Jan-18 10:05:39

I’m enjoying it but I must admit I’m finding the presentation style a bit dry. And I wish more had been said about Jane’s childhood and background, which I think is interesting and would bring her more to life. But perhaps I’m just missing Lucy Worsley with her dressing up and her wonderful facial expressions! I just love her enthusiasm.

Tegan2 Thu 11-Jan-18 12:01:09

Yes; when my ex worked in Loughborough we used to go to Bradgate Park a lot, which is why I've always been fascinated by Jane Grey. Plus the fact that, following on from The White Queen/The Lady of the Rivers etc the fortunes of the Grey family are of great interest to me. There was a Lucy Worsley programme after the first episode that tied in with this era. There's also the programme about clothes [A Stitch in Time] which, once I'd got over the appearance of the presenter I also found fascinating [again, watching it on catchup so fell asleep part way through]. And tonight it's A House in Time [I think that's what it's called]. Can't help but feel it's some sort of spin off from The Great Interior Design show, because the daughters bedroom looked like a room that had been featured in that programme. And, it should give credit to my favourite Bill Bryson book 'At Home', which delves into the history of his own house but then brings in what is happening in the world at the same time; as the house was built @ the time of the Great Exhibition, that gets a lot of mentions. As ever, watching these historical programmes I'm surprised by how little has changed socially and politically in many ways, especially when it comes to information and propaganda etc.

eazybee Thu 11-Jan-18 15:09:56

I am enjoying the programme about Lady Jane Grey, well-presented by Helen Castor ; do hope there will be a book to follow. I think Jane Grey would have been a force to have reckoned with had she survived; extremely clever, rather puritanical and quite narrow -minded, but her execution was appalling. She had a difficult childhood as her parents regarded her very much as a bargaining commodity, and forced her into marriage with Guildford Dudley for their own advancement. Her two sisters had a miserable time of it in later life; too close to the throne for comfort.

vintage1950 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:15:04

I didn't like the reconstructions. All the actors moved in slow motion, Princess Mary looked like a vamp, the actor playing King Edward was a young man rather than a fifteen year-old, and the clips were repeated again and again, perhaps to pad out the programme. The presenter was also shown walking in slow motion. I think the cameraman liked her hair. The actual information was very interesting.

Tegan2 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:50:01

Think it could have been condensed into two parts. I do love it when they show actual books/diaries etc from the time. Janina in particular shows a lot of that sort of thing in her programmes. To actually see/touch Edwards actual diary must be amazing. Yet again it shows how the weather has a huge effect on historical events, battlewise [more so in this country than anywhere else, I would imagine...]There is a Viking exhibition in Nottingham that I'm planning to go to and I realised the other day that, when it first opened, Michael Wood [be still my beating heart] gave a talk there. I don't know how I missed it but I'm kicking myself...sad...

nigglynellie Thu 11-Jan-18 19:47:15

I found it absolutely fascinating especially the diary, will, and other documents. However, I agree that Mary wasn't at all as I imagine her to be, likewise Edward. Poor boy, that awful death, and as for Jane! The manipulation and execution of her was just shocking as was Guilfords. What a violent cruel age, but then the whole of the middle ages and beyond were desperately cruel.

MawBroon Fri 12-Jan-18 00:02:27

Can’t cope with (even pretend) violence!
I watched the end of Bloody Queens and the tears just rolled down my face when Mary Queen of Scots was about to be executed!
At this rate the Chuckle Brothers will be all I am fit for sad

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 17:51:25

You're not wanting to borrow my new Game of Thrones series 7 dvd then, I take it! Our whippet walking group [we go without the whippet as she can't walk far due to he feet] are meeting in Bradgate Park these days to avoid Alabama foot rot, so we may venture forth there in the near future.

Tegan2 Fri 12-Jan-18 17:52:18

....the above almost sounds like some sort of coded message, does it not hmm...

jura2 Sun 21-Jan-18 21:04:05

Oh I am so sorry I missed this. Bradgate Park is one of my favourite parts of the world- and the reason I am also fascinated with Jane Grey. I used to work in Loughborough but live in East Leicester- and stop on the way home all the time. And when the girls were little we spent so much time there too.

Tegan2 Sun 21-Jan-18 21:31:08

Our whippet walking group meet up there as they don't want to walk in grassy areas because of Alabama foot rot. May meet up with them next weeks but sans dog as her corns mean she can't walk on pathways! I'm thinking that Bradgate Park is where we used to take the children sledgeing...