Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Chris Packham in Papua

(11 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 29-Jan-18 06:05:39

I watched Chris Packham in Searching for the lost girl last night and thoroughly enjoyed it although the sadness of the story was very moving
What a lovely sensitive man and what a photographer
The beauty of the child’s face he had carried in his mind for twenty years but the sadness in her eyes as an adult
Did anyone else watch it ?

travelsafar Mon 29-Jan-18 09:12:16

Oh yes. I throughly enjoyed it and i agree Chris is a very sensitive person with a genuine concern for others and the world we live in. You could see how sad it all made him. I became a fan of his after watching his programme explaining about Aspergers, very informative.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jan-18 10:00:33

Me too Travel I d never really taken a lot of notice of him before that programme
That beautiful little girl with the big eyes now seemed so sad and introverted with three babies herself and no hint of a happy fulfilled life or even a husband she had been taken in by another tribe when her parents were killed but she seemed haunted to me
A very very sad tale and a programme well worth watching

henetha Mon 29-Jan-18 10:37:52

Yes, I watched it and found it absolutely wonderful. I am a big fan of Chris Packham. What a lovely man. Beautiful in face and spirit. I am so glad he found the girl, but it was so far from what he hoped for her that it was sad in a way.

annodomini Mon 29-Jan-18 10:59:15

I only saw the end of that programme but was very moved, nonetheless. Is it too much to hope that, just as Sir David Attenborough's message about plastics seems to be getting through, perhaps we will start to heed Chris Packham's message about the palm oil plantations' destruction of the national environment of Borneo?

travelsafar Mon 29-Jan-18 11:55:32

annodomini well said on the palm oil issues.

mollie Mon 29-Jan-18 14:06:02

She didn’t smile at all, did she? He grows in my esteem more and more...

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jan-18 14:17:49

Mollie she worried me I realised she was traumatised as a young child and wouldn’t be used to westerners and cameras taking an interest in her but all the others seemed to manage to acclimatise themselves to the meeting with Chris Packham I couldn’t help wondering if her young babies were conceived in a loving relationship I do so hope so She seemed very distant, perhaps it was just shyness

humptydumpty Mon 29-Jan-18 14:45:26

I thought this was wonderful, I've got the greatest admiration for Chris Packham, I feel that he passionately believes in environmental protection.

Just a minor point, I believe he was in Sumatra? - not Irian Jaya, which is the other half of the island containg Papua New Guinea.. the same forced migration program has caused awful problems there, too.

deannatrois Thu 08-Feb-18 02:32:38

I agree. I have so much admiration for Chris Packham, who he is and what he stands for. I had ASD, my children have ASD and the 'Aspergers and Me' programme really made me see the sort of person he is, and his remarks on the positive side of having autism really stood out.

Because of the way he showed me how growing Palm Oil is destroying the Rain Forest, which had never occurred to me before (should have done but I just didn't realise), I now look at all items I buy and choose items that don't contain Palm Oil. I was suprised today to see even 'organic' Peanut Butter spreads (£3 a bottle) contain 'organic' Palm oil. But I found one that was actually cheaper than that that didn't contain any. I now do that with everything I buy. Its not much, its a personal choice I would not force on anyone else, but if enough people do it, it will make a difference.

NanKate Thu 08-Feb-18 06:36:24

Very moving programme which showed what a caring man Chris Packham is. When David Attenborough is no longer with us, I see CP taking his place.