Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Phantom Threads .

(11 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Sat 03-Feb-18 07:52:02

I'm planning to go to see this film this weekend , it looks beautiful . Has anyone seen it yet ?

tiredoldwoman Tue 06-Feb-18 05:34:07

Well , I went to see this last night , it was a beautifully filmed intense story of a perfectionist . I loved the man and hated him simultaneously .

mollie Tue 06-Feb-18 08:07:12

The reviews are very mixed, aren’t they. I imagine it’s beautifully filmed and the clothes fantastic but something is stopping me ... perhaps it’s DDL who is always very intense no matter who he plays. I’ll wait for the DVD, I think.

Teetime Tue 06-Feb-18 09:04:10

me too mollie I'm not a fan of DDL. I watched Last of the Mohicans on a long flight - dire!

Anniebach Tue 06-Feb-18 09:11:07

Unsure if I will watch it, I think he is just brilliant and this is his last film saddens me.

travelsafar Fri 09-Feb-18 06:44:50

I watched and thought it was a very self indulgent man DDL played the role of. It got on my nerves in the end as it was all very 'arty farty' and I couldnt understand what it was all about, apart from a man who wanted his own way all the time.

appygran Fri 09-Feb-18 07:09:47

I watched this film yesterday and enjoyed it. Beautifully filmed and acted but the character of Reynolds Woodcock is the ultimate male misogynist.

Humbertbear Fri 09-Feb-18 09:28:32

Sorry, I saw this film last night. I love Daniel Day- Lewis and he is wonderful in this as are the two female leads. However, we found the film very slow and quite creepy and, in the end, silly. You will enjoy it if you are a Hitchcock fan as there are references to many of his films and we spotted one line lifted straight from the movie Notorious. It’s a pity if this is really his last film. I’m not surprised he became saddened making it.

TerriBull Fri 09-Feb-18 18:19:22

I'm another who thinks Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the finest actors of his generation. I would like to see this film, but having dragged husband to his last two Oscar winning performances, he's not a fan, I have to admit although DDL was wonderful in both "There will be blood" and "Lincoln" they were somewhat dull, now I've read a couple of the comments here I'm wondering if this one might also be disappointing may wait for the DVD.

jamsidedown Sun 18-Feb-18 11:02:19

Ooh, I found the Day-Lewis character so irritating and the film generally slow and the ending decidedly odd. I did think Lesley Manville was wonderful though.

TerriBull Sun 18-Feb-18 15:11:22

I went to see it, I agree it was slow and ponderous, the Day-Lewis character is very exacting and pedantic and not that nice. Without giving anything away, the girl who plays his muse dishes out her revenge literally when she is on the receiving end of his difficult behaviour. The film does evoke the post war glamour of bespoke dressmaking very well though, quite glad I saw it, still think he is one of our finest actors and Lesley Manville was very good as his sister.