Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Monty Don talking to Jo Whiley

(12 Posts)
HannahLoisLuke Wed 07-Feb-18 22:14:26

Did anybody hear this fantastic programme on Radio 2 tonight? It was a little like Desert Island Discs but so much more interesting. Never heard Monty talking about his life quite like this, and I've recently attended his live talks.
Turns out he was quite naughty as a child and a young man, a bit out of control. Even meeting his wife, who he fell madly in love with at 23 was married to his friend at the time. Without actually saying how they got together, they did and still feel the same way about each other. His choice of music too was different, but suited him exactly. Quite facinating and well worth catching on iplayer if you're a fan.

merlotgran Wed 07-Feb-18 23:08:50

Thanks for posting, Hannah I will definitely find it on iPlayer.

Monty writes in detail about his childhood and young adulthood in The Jewel Garden including his descent into depression so I'll look forward to this.

Day6 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:39:16

Thanks Hannah. I'll also find it on iPlayer. It sounds interesting. We watch Gardeners' World whenever it is on and Monty comes across as such a pleasant, warm person.

travelsafar Thu 08-Feb-18 08:54:15

I enjoy Gardeners World and more recently the program about Paradise Gardens that Monty presented.

I do get the feeling he is almost from another world, bohemian almost, with his flamboyant scarves, linen shirts and trousers and straw hats.

I have always felt a certain vibe from him and not sure if i actually like him or just the programs he presents. I will definately try to listen to the Radio on Iplayer later today to find out if i can pinpoint something in his character that makes me feel that way.

mollie Thu 08-Feb-18 09:12:51

I will look for the catch up as I’m a fan of MD. not so much his gardening - even he makes mistakes and he does like to do things the hard way - but mostly for his beautiful writing and his enthusiasm. I have all his books and read them over and over, he’s a fabulous writer. He did run off with his friends wife and life wasn’t easy, they built up a jewellery business only to see it fail and they lost everything. His depression plays a big part of his story. There’s something for everyone in his story.

shysal Thu 08-Feb-18 10:00:43

Thanks HLL, will listen on iplayer. I like to think of him being a bit naughty!

Washerwoman Thu 08-Feb-18 19:37:55

Oh that's good to know.I find listening to something interesting helps me wind down for sleep so will find that later tonight.I love Monty's books,and as a huge dog lover the one about Nigel and his other dogs reduced me to tears several times.He has a lovely soothing voice,and in the depths of winter when it's hard to imagine spring I have sometimes thought about his struggle with depression when my own mood is low,and feel inspired by how he's overcome the 'black dog ' and a past failed business to build a succesful career and beautiful garden.

merlotgran Thu 08-Feb-18 19:44:20

Just listened to it on iPlayer and I have to agree with his wife. His taste in music would depress the hell out of me. grin

Love Monty's writing and his books are my go to winter reading.

shysal Fri 09-Feb-18 09:23:57

I have listened on iplayer now, and agree with the music choices being depressing. I bet he was a great Smiths fan!
I looked up his books and have ordered a used copy of 'Nigel and Other Dogs' from Ebay. I look forward to reading it and passing it on to fellow Monty/Nigel fans.

Atqui Fri 09-Feb-18 10:23:00

Isn't he gorgeous? The dod's lovely too

Atqui Fri 09-Feb-18 10:23:14

Dog

HannahLoisLuke Mon 12-Feb-18 10:47:46

Jo Whiley actually said to him " you're depressed because you listen to such miserable music" she was joking, but slightly meaning it.