Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Queen Victoria’s Children

(10 Posts)
M0nica Thu 22-Feb-18 20:10:28

varian Not, cod psychology. An interpretation that has been generally agreed upon for many decades.

varian Thu 22-Feb-18 19:40:38

Her own mother seems to have tried to control her but was not affectionate and so Victoria appeared to have little real affection for her children. It seems she almost resented their intrusion into the intense relationship she had with Albert and was so bereft after his death that she never moved on emotionally .

(cod psychology picked up from the programme)

M0nica Thu 22-Feb-18 19:34:26

She certainly enjoyed sex but was very grumpy that that enjoyment so often led to pregnancy and the arrival of another child. She thought small babies were revolting. She would have been the first to adopt a reliable method of contraception, had one been available.

DanniRae Thu 22-Feb-18 18:06:30

Her and Albert enjoyed a very PHYSICAL relationship if you get my drift. So she very much enjoyed the process of making babies but disliked them when they were born!

gillybob Thu 22-Feb-18 15:48:14

Oh thank you for that M0nica I appreciate the synopsis.

I will try and watch it for myself assuming I can get it on catch up.

I watched the recent drama which perhaps made her look nicer than she probably was.

M0nica Thu 22-Feb-18 15:43:31

gillybob watch the programme and you will see, or if you have not the time

The main reason was that as a result of their own dysfunctional childhoods Albert, especially, and Victoria drew up idealised plans for the education of their children that they were convinced would produce a perfect product, essentially mini-mes. Not the self-indulgent modern version, but obedient and compliant children who would think like their parents and obey them.

They did not take into account the possibility that their children would not be the compliant wax shapes they expected but would inherit traits of character from their parents that would be difficult to deal with..Victoria was self willed, self centred and had a volcanic temper. Her eldest son was not academically inclined and was self indulgent traits, he inherited through Victoria's own family.

After Albert's death, she became an adept at emotional blackmail.

gillybob Thu 22-Feb-18 15:28:02

Why was she a selfish monster Maw?

gillybob Thu 22-Feb-18 15:26:56

Do you know if its available on catch up MawBroon ?

Sounds very interesting and right up my street.

DanniRae Thu 22-Feb-18 15:24:40

I am watching it too and agree she was a bit of a monster but she had a terrible childhood (as did Albert). I really enjoyed the episode about her daughters and have yet to watch the one about her sons (but have recorded it).
I was amazed to find out that one of her daughters - Princess Beatrice - was still alive in 1944 when my husband was born!

MawBroon Wed 21-Feb-18 21:55:43

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ptvwj

I am watching this tonight and struck by what a selfish monster Queen Victoria was!