Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

LadyBird

(15 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 03-Mar-18 20:29:05

Has anyone seen the film Lady Bird? If so,what did you think of it ? We are thinking of going next week.

Tegan2 Sat 03-Mar-18 20:30:13

Going on Monday; will let you know. It looks good and I love Soairse whateverhernameis.

Greenfinch Sat 03-Mar-18 20:37:23

Yes,how do you pronounce her first name ?

Tegan2 Sat 03-Mar-18 21:33:13

Sersha [I think; not even sure if I've spelt it right!].

gillybob Sat 03-Mar-18 21:40:05

I look forward to your review Tegan I seem to love everything you recommend smile

KatyK Sun 04-Mar-18 10:36:45

Obviously we all like different things but I found this disappointing. I would be interested to know what others think.

pensionpat Sun 04-Mar-18 12:13:08

Can I recommend a film which we bought to download at home. I don't know the technical term! Called Breathe. Starring Clare Foy and Andrew Garfield. It was based on a true story and was inspirational and very very moving.

Tegan2 Sun 04-Mar-18 14:22:13

Yes, I'd like to see that. It's a subject matter that I found upsetting but the reviews said it was a very uplifting film [bit like the Stephen Hawking film, I guess]. I also liked 'Room' even though I know people that couldn't even contemplate seeing it because of what it was about.

Tegan2 Mon 05-Mar-18 20:44:20

Lady Bird was ok, but it's just the sort of rite of passage film that you can watch on dvd on a Sunday afternoon; we both agreed it was nothing special. Even though it wasn't a film that I particularly wanted to see when I first heard about it, I think I, Tonya is going to be a far better film.

Greenfinch Tue 06-Mar-18 12:29:20

Now I am in a quandary as both these films are on at my local cinema where I am going on Thursday. I Tonya has four showings and LadyBird only two so I can see which is the more popular.How do I choose?confused

Tegan2 Tue 06-Mar-18 19:12:33

LadyBird has probably been out longer, hence having less showings.

Greenfinch Thu 08-Mar-18 20:37:20

Tegan I absolutely agree with you. We went to see LadyBird this afternoon and I actually got quite bored with it half way through.It was OK but that is as far as I would go.There was one other couple in the cinema with seating for 150.I don't know how these multi screen cinemas keep going.

Tegan2 Thu 08-Mar-18 22:21:52

Our indie cinema is now quite flexible about which films they show and for how long; quite often bringing films back [eg Three Billboards] or pulling films that aren't popular. Is it sexist to say that I feel rite of passage films tend to lend themselves more to being about teenage boys; there have been many of them over the years and they're all been quite good. There was a film years ago called Ghost World which was about teenage girls; that impressed me [actually starred Scarlett Johansenn [sp]]; I've got it on dvd and keep meaning to rewatch it. And, can anyone explain to me why her brother obviously wasn't her blood brother but no one mentioned that he was adopted? [I'd better google it, I guess]. What I am finding interesting after watching these American films is that I tend to think of America as being one country, whereas each state seems to have very much an identity of it's own [and a different accent]. This seemed to be very much part of Three Billboards [and Fargo]. I suppose that was highlighted by Bill Bryson when he said 'I came from Des Moins [sp], Iowa; well, somebody had to'.

Greenfinch Fri 09-Mar-18 07:03:20

It would seem that the brother is adopted and according to one review there is a suggestion that Christine is also adopted hence her wish to change her name. The inability to deal with the theme of adoption is seen to be one of the weaknesses of the film.

Tegan2 Fri 09-Mar-18 11:29:46

The film is supposed to be semi autobiographical; I wonder if the director is adopted [back to Wikipedia...] I think it's a good film to show to a teenage girl, because it does explore important issues [peer group pressure etc]. But that doesn't make it an Oscar nominated film. I also think that, if you jumped out of a moving car you'd suffer from more than a broken arm/wrist !