Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Shelia Handcock

(5 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 05-Jun-18 07:39:41

I went to see Shelia Handcock's new film yesterday called Edie.I enjoyed it but it seemed a little far fetched, I just can't imagine an 83 year old lady would be fit enough to climb a mountain especially as she had been tied to the home for the past 30years taking care of her sick husband. The scenery was beautiful though.

Mamissimo Tue 05-Jun-18 07:53:58

I saw a preview screening of that and thought it was a very disappointing film. The scenery was lovely but somehow the story and the characters didn’t resonate with me and the story had no depth so I couldn’t believe in it and cheer her on. Best film of wrinkles I’ve seen though. ?

OldMeg Tue 05-Jun-18 08:23:57

I’m a great fan of older women who don’t just sit and vegetate. Apparently the oldest woman to climb Kilimanjaro was 86, so a Scottish mountain would be a dawdle.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Jun-18 08:38:15

But it’s the inactivity previously that makes it different OldMeg
A 90 year old can run a marathon if they ve been running for years but be extremely rare if not impossible for a 90 to run 100 yds if they d never done it before

OldMeg Tue 05-Jun-18 10:40:27

Is it based on a true story or pure fiction?

If based on true story then she must have been fit enough to achieve it. If based on fiction then we are usually apply the ‘willing suspension of disbelief’.

After all many people watch those dreadful soaps where the unbelievable happens on a daily basis.

just saying