Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Female police bosses on TV

(7 Posts)
fiorentina51 Sun 23-Sep-18 00:07:47

I have a friend who is a retired senior police officer. Started her career in the 80''s and retired 15 years ago after secondment to the military, leaving with the rank of Inspector General in the counter terrorism squad.
She delighted in telling me about her early years as a new recruit and the only female in her team, where she was expected to be one of the lads. How times had changed by the time she retired and she was in charge of the lads!

paddyann Sat 22-Sep-18 21:45:22

the new intake at the Scottish police college is around a third women ,sometimes its a bit more than that but rarely less.There are certainly a lot more women now than 42 years ago when we first started working with them.Of course the height restrictions have gone which helps as women who were under the required height were turned away even though they had brilliant qualifications in every other way.Its brilliant to see so many young women eager to serve their community in the police .

petra Sat 22-Sep-18 21:07:47

Two women have been heads of Mi5.

Melanieeastanglia Sat 22-Sep-18 20:44:46

Perhaps not totally realistic but I still enjoy these programmes, especially Vera.

I don't overthink it because, after all, these detectives seem to solve complex murders in two hours! In reality, it must take much longer.

I enjoy the programmes more when they have a female lead.

OldMeg Sat 22-Sep-18 18:37:13

The most senior police officer in the UK is a woman, Cressida Dick.

Can you take equality too far? ???

PECS Sat 22-Sep-18 18:03:48

Starbird probably not representative of the reality re senior women officers in RL ..but good to aspire to equality in all walks of life.

starbird Sat 22-Sep-18 17:34:39

There seem to be an awful lot of police programmes with women in charge. Vera, Blue Murder, Scott and Bailey, No Offence and probably more I can’t think of at the moment. Are there really that many women in the police force, and so many female bosses? Together with the DI Banks series, these programmes show how difficult it is to hold down a job in the police and be a mother. Do you think we have taken equality - as portrayed in these programmes, too far? And why does DI Deering always seem to find an opportunity to appear half naked - are we being fed a fat is beautiful message? (It is indeed beautiful for the face - most overweight ladies have lovely complexions and are very attractive - eg Dawn French, Chrissy Metz (This is Us) and Joanna Scanlon to name a few.