Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Cry

(116 Posts)
trisher Mon 01-Oct-18 11:06:22

Did anyone watch this? I only got half way through and had to turn it off. I didn't care what the story was. I didn't care about any of the characters. All I cared about was the poor baby who for the sake of filming seemed to be left to cry when it suited. I wanted his mum to pick him up and cuddle him. I wanted someone to take him away from all of them. I just couldn't stand it.

Iam64 Thu 25-Oct-18 08:34:14

There wouldn't be skid marks given the fact it was a deliberate action. I agree with Jalima, at that stage, she didn't care whether she survived or not.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 10:15:59

Presumably the SCO's and forensics would have confirmed she didn't skid off the road but drove off it.
They said at the trial that there were no skid marks.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 10:14:56

She was risking serious injury to herself wasn’t she?
I don't think she cared if she survived or not.

Perhaps the plots were numbered already, ours were.

Bellanonna Wed 24-Oct-18 08:55:30

It’s a bit tenuous. I know she undid his seatbelt but how could she know he would die and that she wouldn’t by driving off the edge of the road? She was risking serious injury to herself wasn’t she? Also puzzling is that he buried Noah before the houses were built and was (presumably) able to remember the exact spot when he took the photo.

Iam64 Wed 24-Oct-18 08:17:59

Nope, I've reached the conclusion Jenna is a good actor and I swiftly got beyond seeing her as Queen Victoria. She's tiny though, isn't she!
I'm also still relieved she 'got away with it' - shocking but I am.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 21:03:19

.....and I can only think of her as Queen Victoria ?

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 21:02:25

Only a fiction of course, but I thought it a weak ending.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 21:00:45

Yes Iam I know, but there could have been no charges for murder or anything else as there was no evidence.
Easily written off as driving too fast and not paying enough attention to the road. Anyone can, in stress, then hit the wrong pedal.
I doubt there could even have been a manslaughter charge.

Iam64 Tue 23-Oct-18 20:55:22

lemon, she was charged with murdering him (at least that's what I took from the trial). Presumably the SCO's and forensics would have confirmed she didn't skid off the road but drove off it.
I confess to having been rather pleased that his mother and ex wife suspected as much but supported her because they knew what a bar steward he was.
Anyway, I'm not sure I've watched any decent drama in recent times that hasn't been far fetched. Plus, if we watch the drama that is our Brexit process and then look across the water to the USA, how can we ever say anything other than "nah, can't believe it, its much too far fetched". smile

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 20:50:56

Thought the last episode was too far fetched by half and spoilt the series.
In court, she looked as emotionless as a psychopath.
She would never have been in court in the first place, there could have been no charges!

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 19:31:48

Sorry, perhaps I should have put Spoiler Alert on my posts.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Oct-18 18:57:00

Glad you're enjoying it Jane43

Jane43 Tue 23-Oct-18 18:10:01

I have started the book and some of the questions on here have been answered already. I won’t say any more in case some people still haven’t seen all the episodes. It is a good read.

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 18:05:10

Regarding cash for flights, etc. she said she'd been left some money by her parents. She had a house of her own.
I think he probably earned a very good salary (before he was sacked) and she had a teacher's salary too - flights in economy would not be out of reach.
Although he did ask how he could pay the mortgage and bills at one point.

As for buying a house in Australia, perhaps he left the Glasgow house to her and she also had her own house to sell.

Sparklefizz you could post but put SPOILER ALERT on top of your post.

I kept trying to skim past this thread as I hadn't seen all the episodes, but inevitably I caught a glimpse of some posts.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Oct-18 16:23:01

Still find it a bit of a fairy tale that he knew exactly which house and which room the baby was under etc but hey ho it’s fiction and it was good I ll miss it bu5 I think there’s a few more good ones coming up

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Oct-18 15:22:38

Grandma2213 Regarding cash for flights, etc. she said she'd been left some money by her parents. She had a house of her own.

The book is much better. There are several questions on here which I don't want to answer as it will spoil the book for those who plan to read it.

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 11:01:34

They were my thoughts anyway, Bluebelle, whether correct or not!
The trouble is, I always watch these dramas and, although I can thoroughly enjoy them, I start nitpicking at the faults … ie the medicine being decanted (no), you can take medicine in hand luggage even if it's over 100 ml but in the original bottle surely, and with a doctor's note.
And how did he get into the building site, did none of the builders notice something amiss the next day?

Jenna Coleman was brilliant and Alistair was sufficiently creepy from the beginning to make me suspicious.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Oct-18 06:00:29

Thanks Jalma (shows how much I missed) and I thought I was concentrating but anyway I throughly enjoyed it

Grandma2213 Tue 23-Oct-18 00:30:03

I was totally engrossed in the story and thought Jenna Coleman was brilliant. There was so much going on behind that 'frozen' face! There were so many 'moments' that made sense in the end. The only thing that annoys me in most of these dramas is that there always seems to be enough money available eg for flights to Australia, buying houses. I, like most other people, would struggle to find cash for those sort of things.

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Oct-18 23:58:16

I've just watched three episodes on 'catch-up' (exhausted!)
BlueBelle
Oh, a new build I thought it was the one they stayed in well that’s confused me even more when did they have it built and where was the baby’s body lingering while the house was being built
When Al went to dispose of the baby's body they were building houses on a site near the beach. The new 'show house' he took Jo to see was not built then, just foundations being dug and he must have disposed of the body in the foundations - somehow.
When he took Jo to look at the house, suggesting that they could stay in Australia and be near his daughter, he took a photo of Jo in the room, presumably Noah was below that house.
No, they don't go up in a day but they were in Australia for quite a while as the investigation was going on.
Jo realised that and at the end went back to Australia and bought that house so that she could be near to her son.

Someone may have said all this, I haven't read the whole thread.

The only flaw for me was the decanting of the medicine into travel bottles - no-one would do that and the bottles contained more than 100ml too, by the look of it.

Sparklefizz Mon 22-Oct-18 19:16:45

As I said before, the book is brilliant. I thoroughly enjoyed it and everything is clearer, especially the ending.

Iam64 Mon 22-Oct-18 18:53:41

I suspect she avoided her best friend when they returned to Scotland because she feared she'd blurt out what had happened to Noah. The two young women had been very close and probably shared all kinds of confidences. If someone knows you very well they're likely to ask the question that prompts you to lose control. I don't mean scream and shout, I mean be unable to maintain a lie.

It was very interesting that his ex wife and his mother were with Noah's mother emotionally, neither of them were attempting to implicate her in his death though I suspect both knew she'd been involved (but it served him right)

BlueBelle Mon 22-Oct-18 18:00:25

Oh, a new build I thought it was the one they stayed in well that’s confused me even more when did they have it built and where was the baby’s body lingering while the house was being built ? they don’t go up in a day ...help I thought Id got it sussed and you ve all thrown up things I didn’t know and now am a bit more confused ?
Yes she’s a great actress and very beautiful

Jane43 Mon 22-Oct-18 17:48:32

I just ordered it from Amazon. The Kindle edition is only £3.49.

Washerwoman yes the acting was very good from all concerned. Jenna Coleman was mesmerising at times, she is a very beautiful girl.

Washerwoman Mon 22-Oct-18 16:41:56

I think the thing about the medicines is that Jo was already so tired and stressed as a relatively new mum,who really had reservations about such a long flight with a fractious baby.Who wouldn't be ?But her controlling partner was determined to go whatever ,but left all the baby arrangements to her,and slept for much of the flight.and so I can understand how they could get to the airport and have forgotten to decant the separate medicines. I thought the acting was superb, especially from Jenna Coleman.Truly at times.