Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Face To Face

(10 Posts)
Jane43 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:43:42

So glad you are enjoying these gems on BBC iplayer. My parents were big fans of John Freeman. I keep hoping that they will add the famous interview with Gilbert Harding, another of my parents’ favourites. Yes the one with Tony Hancock is very good too.

AyjayF Mon 12-Nov-18 19:02:20

Thank you so much Jane43. I've just caught up with this. I watched the Martin Luther King interview. It was great that the interviewer was not seen + the person being interviewed was able to speak without constant interruption. It was very moving with our knowledge of his assassination.
I'm looking forward to watching more episodes.

mrsmopp Fri 09-Nov-18 23:13:26

Watched the interview with Martin Luther King I think it was on YouTube. The interviewer is always respectful and courteous, in contrast to today's more aggressive style of interviews. There is one with Tony Hancock too. That's it, I'm going to watch them all.
Loved Adam Faith too. He said his favorite book was Catcher in the Rye, and I bought it the following day.
How can I remember that fron nearly 60 years ago yet can't remember what I did yesterday??

Jane43 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:39:33

I think you are all right about the Adam Faith interview. I just have a soft spot for him as my three friends and I met him after a concert in a Blackpool in 1960. We were hanging around the theatre car park and he suddenly appeared walking towards his very snazzy ted sports car. We got his autograph, which I still have, which filled the page of my autograph book and was in bold, black pen. He chatted with us for quite a while and was very charming - he had the twinkliest, bluest eyes I have ever seen. Although none of us were huge fans we all had a soft spot for him after that.

BlueBelle, if you just search for Face To Face on the iPlayer you will find them. I hope they put some more on because interviewers went downhill after Michael Parkinson. I am thinking of Jonathan Ross who seems to have bounced back after his misdemeanours with Russell Brand. Graham Norton is OK but seems to think it is all about him.

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 16:19:32

Have watched Dame Edith Sitwell , absolutely thrilled to hear her again. Next will watch Bertrand Russell, Carl Jung and Dr.King

Thank you so much Jane

BlueBelle Thu 04-Oct-18 16:15:08

I loved Adam Faith when I was a teenager I don’t know why as he looks nothing like my ‘type’ but yes he must have had charisma
So I too will try and find them thanks Jane

Bathsheba Thu 04-Oct-18 15:58:38

Thank you Jane for posting about these interviews. I started to watch Adam Faith's interview, but I'm afraid I became rather bored so didn't continue.
But then I watched Dame Edith Sitwell - oh what a treat that was! I look forward to catching up with the others when I have the time.

Jane43 Thu 04-Oct-18 15:20:13

I hope you find them Anniebach. If you search ‘face to face’ you should get there.

Anniebach Thu 04-Oct-18 11:49:54

I always watched ‘Face to Face’ will look for these interviews, thank you Jane.

Jane43 Thu 04-Oct-18 10:54:30

I don’t know if anybody remembers this series way back in the sixties. John Freeman interviews very interesting people and was famous for the interview with Gilbert Harding when Harding broke down in tears when talking about his mother. I recently discovered some of his interviews on BBC iplayer. They change them from time to time but are always fascinating to watch. So far I have seen Tony Hancock and Adam Faith. The Adam Faith interview was very interesting as he was such an articulate and intelligent young man who was suddenly catapulted into showbiz. He was never the best of singers but certainly had charisma. Typical of a 60s lifestyle he chain smokes throughout the interview, lighting a new cigarette from the old one; no wonder he died from heart problems. If you remember Adam Faith I would recommend this and when checking if it is still on I noticed the latest one they have put on is with Martin Luther King so I will definitely be watching that one.