Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bohemian Rhapsody

(53 Posts)
overthehill Wed 31-Oct-18 17:36:59

Fantastic feel like you're actually at the concerts....Freddie actor very good

Labaik Tue 23-Apr-19 11:43:43

As I thought, Queen never did split up; they'd all done solo projects; Freddie was never disloyal to the band and he wasn't diagnosed with Aids until after Live Aid. They'd been performing right up to Live Aid and were [as one would expect] were extremely polished and note perfect for that concert.

Labaik Tue 23-Apr-19 11:31:38

I know they said something about Madonna being really famous whereas I'm pretty sure she was relatively unknown at that time. It won an award for editing and the editor said he was ashamed of the editing as it was so bad. Having said that, it was so fast moving you couldn't get bored [we started watching AStar is Born and, after a few minutes I said 'I'm not enjoying this; let's watch Bohemian Rhapsody instead]. I've got a friend who was going to answer questions on Queen in Mastermind but he didn't get to the next round so I might just ask him what was untrue; mind you he really loved the film as well. I'll probably watch it again; something I rarely do with films.

David0205 Tue 23-Apr-19 10:33:20

My own view was that it concentrated on the emotional and sex aspect too much and the music too little, just how factual the story line was has been questioned as well.
The wall to wall publicity made it a success but I don’t think it rates as a great film

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Apr-19 07:35:14

Labaik Please share what you find out about how factual the film is (or isn't).

Anja Tue 23-Apr-19 06:15:51

Watched it on Prime at home. Glad I saw it but tend to agree with critics.

NanKate Mon 22-Apr-19 22:36:55

I think Status Quo started the Live Aid Concert with Rocking All Over the World.

I hope all that money donated made a difference to the people in need.

Labaik Mon 22-Apr-19 21:25:29

I've just watched it and enjoyed it. Have never been a Queen fan; don't go out of my way to listen to their music. However, their Live Aid performance is still the stand out performance of my whole life; the only artists I can remember from it being Queen, Madonna [thought to myself 'she'll go far' ] and Cars. Now going to do some googling to see how factual it is [or isn't].

Willow500 Mon 22-Apr-19 06:31:52

I finally got to see it a few weeks ago on Sky and spent the last half of it in tears - so many memories and reminders of lost youth - good job I was on my own! I loved it and thought Rami Malik was great. I re-watched the Twilight films a couple of weeks ago and realized he's in the last one too.

rosecarmel Mon 22-Apr-19 06:20:02

Agree with others, I cried as well - Even at the beginning of the movie! And I totally loved how 20th Century changed their intro to sound like Queen!

rosecarmel Mon 22-Apr-19 06:17:00

I enjoyed it - smile I saw them 2/5/1977 in NYC - In the nosebleed section, but that didn't matter!

BBbevan Mon 22-Apr-19 03:22:31

This film was showing on our cruise. I am not a particular Queen fan but DD and I went to see it on a cold sea day. Absolutely loved it, and think I should see it again for things I might have missed. Superb acting and so sad in places .

JackyB Mon 22-Apr-19 01:12:38

Also loved that the actors looked so much like the originals, except younger and better looking.

JackyB Mon 22-Apr-19 01:11:34

I finally saw it on the flight over here to San Francisco, where we are at the moment. I thoroughly enjoyed it, too, regardless of whether the story was correctly represented or not.

NanKate Sun 21-Apr-19 20:37:13

Rami not Rame apologies

NanKate Sun 21-Apr-19 20:36:17

Just seen the film this afternoon at our local Arts Centre. It was absolutely fabulous and Rame Malik was sensational. I must admit the tears were running down my face at some of the poignant parts. DH has been listening to YouTube since we got home seeing FM in person. What a great day out ?

It was so interesting to hear the stories around the songs they wrote.

KatyK Sun 21-Apr-19 11:24:15

I know! DH won't be convinced.

Sparklefizz Sun 21-Apr-19 10:54:16

KatyK But Freddie Mercury did have teeth like that.

KatyK Sun 21-Apr-19 10:14:55

I loved the film but my DH said he couldn't take it seriously because of 'the teeth'.

Sparklefizz Sun 21-Apr-19 08:25:49

^ what a talent Freddie Mercury was^

Yes, he really had a gift, a wonderful songwriter and was a great showman. I have never been able to understand why Tom Jones is repeatedly called "a legend" (especially on The Voice). He can sing well, of course, but he doesn't play an instrument, has never written a song or produced or been creative in any other way.

He has lived a huge chunk of his life in the US and not therefore paid UK tax, so why did we give him a knighthood? I sometimes think these are handed out due purely to longevity.

Labaik Sat 20-Apr-19 20:27:05

...…..'it was as if he had only just got to grips with "the teeth" an amazing set of gnashers surely deserved a nomination for best supporting something or other. grin !

TerriBull Sat 20-Apr-19 19:34:01

I got round to seeing this on DVD a million years after everyone else, and so wished I'd seen at the cinema. Loved it! Rami Malek was great as Freddie, although on the opening scenes it was as if he had only just got to grips with "the teeth" an amazing set of gnashers surely deserved a nomination for best supporting something or other grin One of my sons, who wasn't born at the time of Live Aid also mentioned he'd seen it at a friends and was knocked out by "Queen" not his era at all. Very poignant at times, and like many greats who are no longer with us, what a talent Freddie Mercury was sad

ebayqueen Fri 23-Nov-18 11:50:50

I can't understand the reviews. I absolutely loved it, and have always regretted not getting to see Freddie Mercury live on stage .One friend mentioned the fake teeth Rami Malek wore, saying they weren't like Freddies but if you look at Freddie in interviews,his were just like that and you could see he was a bit self conscious about them , as he always drew his top lip over them after speaking.

shysal Fri 23-Nov-18 09:25:27

I went with a neighbour last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I usually find the volume too high in cinemas but Queen music has to be loud! I was disappointed to read afterwards that parts of the story were not factual. I won't elaborate as some of you are yet to see the film. I understand the album has shot up the charts. I got out my Night at the Opera CD yesterday.

On the subject of volume I was interested to read that the cinema has autism-friendly viewings. I had not seen a film since Mama Mia 1, which brought on my vertigo (front row and camera spinning around), and before that would have been a Disney film when my now adult GCs were young!

SpringyChicken Fri 23-Nov-18 08:04:14

We thoroughly enjoyed it too, glad I didn’t read any of the critics’ reviews.

Greenfinch Thu 22-Nov-18 23:09:31

Here is another who really enjoyed it and I agree with all the positive comments already made. Never has a couple of hours entertainment flown by so quickly.The actor playing Brian May was particularly well cast and Freddie was brilliant.