Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gransnet and Doctor Who

(8 Posts)
Blinko Mon 26-Nov-18 09:03:59

I wonder what it must have been like to live in an era where spiteful neighbours could get one tortured and hanged for 'witchcraft'.

It rather takes the edge off the touristy element for me.

Iam64 Mon 26-Nov-18 08:14:33

It isn't too late, we could arrange a virtual party over the festive period, polish our broomsticks and cause mayhem over Pendle.

ninathenana Mon 26-Nov-18 00:02:06

The good old days of GN sad

mcem Sun 25-Nov-18 20:36:20

Seems a long time ago but GN is much less flighty and more down to earth these days. (Metaphorically speaking).
Surreal nonsense doesn't suit everyone!
Equally surreal were the Christmas trips and pantomimes but perhaps we've grown up at last??

annodomini Sun 25-Nov-18 20:24:00

mcem, I remember our virtual Halloween party on Pendle Hill when we turned up on our supercharged broomsticks, committed a breach of the peace and at least one gran got arrested. Those were the days, eh?

Iam64 Sun 25-Nov-18 20:00:25

Its interesting to work out a route and visit the places the witches lived. It's glorious moorland and open countryside, small villages and great history.

M0nica Sun 25-Nov-18 19:48:55

The trials of the Pendle witches in 1612 are among the most famous witch trials in English history, and some of the best recorded of the 17th century. The twelve accused lived in the area surrounding Pendle Hill in Lancashire, and were charged with the murders of ten people by the use of witchcraft. All but two were tried at Lancaster Assizes on 18–19 August 1612, along with the Samlesbury witches and others, in a series of trials that have become known as the Lancashire witch trials. One was tried at York Assizes on 27 July 1612, and another died in prison. Of the eleven who went to trial – nine women and two men – ten were found guilty and executed by hanging; one was found not guilty.

A quote from Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witches

mcem Sun 25-Nov-18 18:50:02

I switched on Doctor Who to discover it's about witch trials set near Pendle Hill. I'd never heard of the place until reference was made to it during a GN jaunt a few years ago.
Anyone else remember when these surreal outings took place quite regularly?