Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm Winter

(23 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 20-Dec-18 10:52:26

I caught up with this yesterday and for me the star of the series was six year old Sid. Always shadowing his older brother Reuben, helping with repairs, making a lovely gift for Mother's Day and completing the junior Dales race - soaking wet but with a huge grin on his face.

They're all great kids but he gets my gold star!

Sparklefizz Wed 19-Dec-18 13:01:43

I agree sodapop. They clearly love their life but it's a harsh one and I couldn't cope with it. The children are lovely. I wonder what she would do if anything happens to him because he is already in his mid 60s (20 years older than her) so he is an "older Dad" and I can't imagine she could manage in such an isolated place on her own with so much work plus young children.

sodapop Wed 19-Dec-18 12:55:05

I rather got that impression Sparklefizz. Have to admit though they all work hard and its good to see people living this sort of life. Not sure I could cope with it.

Sparklefizz Wed 19-Dec-18 12:26:39

I've read one of her books. They also run a small tearoom on the farm for passing walkers. His oldest son by his 1st marriage runs part of the farm, and I would imagine they have other help as it would be impossible with all those children as well.

I enjoyed the programmes, hence decided to read one of the books, but actually got a bit fed up with her sounding rather smug at times.

overthehill Wed 19-Dec-18 12:09:51

Loved it. Wonder how much channel 5 paid them? How does she get time to write books? Would love to see a docu on inside the farmhouse to see how that works.

EllanVannin Fri 30-Nov-18 20:30:26

I've got a book on Hannah Hawkswell. What a wonderful person she was . I admired her greatly and had a huge respect for her.
The Atkins sisters too who'd lived on the island of Looe which they'd bought in the 60's and lived out their lives there.

Buffybee Fri 30-Nov-18 19:10:08

Had recorded so only caught up with this fabulous programme last night.
What an amazing couple and lovely children.
I was alternating between smiling broadly and tears.
The little boy helping his brother, (Stan I think). Just adorable!
Can't wait for next week.

mumofmadboys Fri 30-Nov-18 18:34:33

I met this family when my DH and I walked the coast to coast. She had recently had a baby and was serving tea and scones to walkers in her barn. It is a fantastic place to raise children. I am full of admiration for Amanda. I enjoyed her book The Yorkshire Shepherdess very much

ginny Fri 30-Nov-18 16:37:29

They work hard and are a happy family . The children are healthy and caring. Rather nine of them than some of the given everything material but very little love children that I’ve seen.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 30-Nov-18 11:55:49

Charming, hardworking family but nine children?
Time for the snip surely.

merlotgran Fri 30-Nov-18 10:23:02

Retired farm manager DH was horrified at their casual attitude towards the kids and the quadbike though. There have been some well publicised accidents - Rick Mayall and Ozzy Osbourne to name but two. Farms can be dangerous places for children.

Amanda's book, The Yorkshire Shepherdess doesn't pull punches. She tells it like it is with accidents, ringworm, speech impediments etc., so I hope the TV series doesn't gloss over the realities.

farview Fri 30-Nov-18 10:22:42

Loved the programme, wonderful family.. especially loved the beautiful, simple Christmas...

Sparklefizz Fri 30-Nov-18 10:09:48

And I noticed how the children ate everything they were given when they sat down for a meal, even the very youngest ones .... no faddiness, no complaints, just getting on and eating it. Not like my grandchildren .... sad

travelsafar Fri 30-Nov-18 08:14:06

Loved this, bought back memories of when i was a child and we lived on a farm, my dad was a herdsman and looked after the cattle but there were sheep and pigs too. The wide open spaces, the roaring fire, the wet clothes hanging up in the kitchen to dry off, it was the only warm room in the house, dogs, baby lambs in baskets beside the fire to keep them warm, being covered in mud after going out to collect wood for the fire in the local spinney. How my poor mum coped i dread to think but she did, there were five of us kids, two dogs and mum and dad we were so poor but on the whole very happy. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Mapleleaf Wed 28-Nov-18 21:36:40

This was a lovely programme. I noticed too how the children didn't "need" the latest electronic gadgets for Christmas to be happy, and they still had a lovely, family Christmas.
Yes, it's tough up there in the Dales and they have my full admiration.

NanKate Wed 28-Nov-18 19:24:54

I wish my DGC were as grateful for presents as the Yorkshire children. When I give them money this weekend to spend at the Christmas Fair I am going to explain that we are on a fixed income and we are not rich like they seem to think. It may take time to sink in, but they have no consept of money and have far too much.

I can remember my Mum saying this about our DS ?

MrTumble Wed 28-Nov-18 18:55:58

Hannah Hawkswell, was one of the old school. With her stop complaining and get on with it attitude. Loved her. smile

jusnoneed Wed 28-Nov-18 18:46:05

I've seen them on a few programmes over the years. Isn't it lovely to see children being friends and not having to have loads of 'stuff' to be happy. The pure fun from messing about in the snow, colouring books etc.

KatyK Wed 28-Nov-18 18:39:05

They are a lovely family. They have featured in several TV programmes and newspaper articles.

merlotgran Wed 28-Nov-18 17:45:39

She's an amazing woman and a very clever one. Her books are best sellers and Disney have bought the film rights. The eldest boy, Ruben, came across as a lovely responsible lad with endless patience whend showing his little brother how to make things. A lovely family.

Marmight Wed 28-Nov-18 17:39:50

An amazing, happy family. Really enjoying it.
Another programme which started on Monday worth watching, also on 5, is Warship - Life at Sea

Greyduster Wed 28-Nov-18 17:36:28

I’ve seen this family featured in another programme about farming and, as you say, they are a tough, happy lot! Living up there in winter is no joke, and it reminds me of Hannah Hawkswell, who ran her Yorkshire Dales farm single handed, in appalling living conditions. I found that very humbling.

NanKate Wed 28-Nov-18 17:30:39

Another good programme on CH5.

It is about some hill farmers and their 9 children during last winter. They are a tough bunch.

9 children ?