Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Escape to the Chateau

(9 Posts)
AyjayF Sun 02-Dec-18 20:55:10

Do they ever employ any French people?

travelsafar Mon 03-Dec-18 08:25:34

Not sure, but i love them,especially the children.

FlexibleFriend Mon 03-Dec-18 08:54:54

They do employ local people for example when the trees were pollarded much to Angels great concern because clearly something was lost in translation between Dick and the Tree surgeon. She thought the trees would be trimmed and the were left with tree trunks and nothing else. So much for the wedding guests sitting in the shade. Also I believe the roof was fixed by locals as they were in awe of the frenchmans dare devil antics and no harness etc.

merlotgran Mon 03-Dec-18 09:46:29

Those pollarded trees look great now. I've been nagging DH to trim the trunks of ours because they look so untidy with bits growing out at all angles. I was yelling, 'That's how they should look' and he replied, 'Yes, I'm doing it.'

He's done half of one side of one tree. Only another 19 and a half to go!

We watched the programme about the wedding extravaganza at Cliveden after ETTC. I know where I'd rather get married.

What an idyllic place to bring up children although I do hope they soon become strong swimmers. I couldn't see the point in building a motor driven punt. Why not just buy them a dinghy, teach them to row and read them Swallows and Amazons. grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-Dec-18 10:03:26

"Angel" and her parents lived locally, parents owned and ran a local restaurant which done a remarkably good Sunday Lunch, we had many family celebrations there.

Dick was one of our AC's Commanding Officer many moons ago.

Blinko Mon 03-Dec-18 11:22:40

I tried watching that programme on Cliveden and switched off. I felt physically sick at the sheer obscene expenditure. Give me the Chateau any day. Though I bet that's not exactly inexpensive.... I do love the programme, though. Not so keen on the offspring. Do they have friends? Do they play out? Who knows.

Fennel Mon 03-Dec-18 11:33:08

I haven't seen the new series, but used to enjoy it.
As for cost - renovations in France aren't cheap. I read that Dick takes a few months away from France every year to earn the money to pay for everything. At the time he was working for National Geographic magazine.
On top of the renovations, they'll have huge property taxes and insurance bills, and maintenance costs for that place. Possibly income tax too.

merlotgran Mon 03-Dec-18 13:29:23

I think the children enjoy going to the local school, Blinko and are both eager to learn French. I do feel a little concerned about their weight though. OK, it's none of my business but both Dick and Angel are very overweight and Dick's family are positively huge!

There isn't anywhere close to the chateau for them to play unsupervised so maybe they'll have to wait until they're a bit older before they can go off and have fun on their own.

Floradora9 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:05:54

I agree merlogran I keep thinking Dick is a heart attack waiting to happen . I enjoy the programme and admire both their talents .