Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Michael McIntyre’s “Unexpected Stars”

(12 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 08-Dec-18 21:08:49

Oh my goodness, tonight’s couple sounded like professional singers!
They had me absolutely welling up with their duet from Moulin Rouge!

Washerwoman Sat 08-Dec-18 21:23:27

They were wonderful weren't they Maw.Her voice was pure and clear,and I would have loved to have heard him sing for longer.He had a lovely tone to his voice.

Buffybee Sat 08-Dec-18 21:39:03

Beautiful..... Hanky was out!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-Dec-18 22:16:32

I really enjoy this show, it is traditional Saturday night entertainment.

ninathenana Sat 08-Dec-18 23:22:25

She looked petrified at first, I wasn't sure how she would cope but they were both brilliant.

PamelaJ1 Sun 09-Dec-18 07:20:10

They were excellent, The family that ‘dropped them in it’ certainly weren’t doing it to embarrass them.
The bedroom thing though!
If they came into my bedroom I have a feeling that they would be in fear of their life. I have a very handy bedside light that would be my first missile.
If I appeared on national television in what I wear to bed my husband’s life would not be worth living.
Can’t you just imagine the conversation the night before as he tried to get me to wear something fetching but concealing ?

Liz46 Sun 09-Dec-18 09:52:40

I didn't see the show last night but the week before I was amazed at how immaculate the bedroom was. I must be messy because I just dump my dirty clothes and have a tidy up in the morning. My worn knickers would definitely be on show!

Sparklefizz Sun 09-Dec-18 09:59:48

It's not a surprise! It's a TV programme and it's all planned, and just made to look like a surprise.

You know those walks through beautiful countryside by Julia Bradbury which are televised? I am just reading one of the books by Amanda Owen, the "Yorkshire Shepherdess". JB was filmed on some of their farmland and sometimes she had to repeat a section of walk 6 or 7 times before the production team were satisfied with it. It is not just filmed as she walks.

It is all fake tv.

henetha Sun 09-Dec-18 10:01:35

They were brilliant! I would like to have heard more of his voice as I think it was lovely. I love Michael McIntyre and this show is wonderful. Good, clean, fun entertainment.

ninathenana Sun 09-Dec-18 10:08:24

I'd say that was a totally different scenario Sparkle I would expect them to do retakes for such a programme, the same as I don't believe Country File or Gardeners World are done in one take.

Nonnie Sun 09-Dec-18 10:29:02

I agree with Sparkle. Does anyone really think they could produce the whole singing production in about half an hour? As for the bedroom stuff, twice I have seen the woman wearing a different nightie at the end to the one she was wearing at the beginning. Cynical me?

I would pay good money not to be on TV! I think, especially on home hunting programmes, some people are not genuine, they just want to be on the box.

Sparklefizz Sun 09-Dec-18 10:38:26

ninathenana I don't believe any of them are done in one take! I had a friend who was on a Channel 4 programme called "Watercolour Challenge" (remember that years ago?) Artists were given 4 hours to paint a scene and Hannah Gordon would go round saying "Only 30 more minutes!"

Well, the truth is that the artists were given all day, my friend said.... and her comments were confirmed when the artists had to paint in the market place in Monmouth and the town clock said 9am when they were setting up, and I noticed it said 6 pm when they were being judged!

As Nonnie says, that singing production could not be completed in about half an hour. They would still be recovering from the shock (if it definitely was a shock!) and getting made up and trying on clothes.

And does anyone believe that when a celeb hands over his/her mobile phone for "Send to all" , it hasn't all been set up?

And not only are the bedroom scenes neat and tidy without clothes strewn everywhere, the women have had blowdried hair and some makeup on (no panda eyes or a load of face cream!)

The antiques auction programmes are all set ups too. People go into antiques shops and haggle away and knock the prices down by about 40%. I have a friend who runs an antiques stall and no way would she accept such a massive price drop.

All need to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think .... but entertaining all the same.