Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

My Brilliant Friend

(5 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 18-Dec-18 18:38:06

My DH recorded this for me as he thought it was my kind of programme. He was so right. I have watched 5 episodes so far and it is very good. It is the story of two young girls growing up in Naples and currently set in the late 1950s. It is on Sky Atlantic.

dahlia Tue 18-Dec-18 20:01:04

I loved the original book on which this series is based, and was captivated by the television production. Such fine detail and the casting was so good - or at least it met with my own ideas of what the main characters would look like. I hadn't taken so much notice of the violence with which the girls lived on a daily basis when reading the book, but found it quite shocking. A really brilliant series.

crystaltipps Wed 19-Dec-18 06:12:52

Yes a beautiful series. I have an Italian branch of the family, and one of them, who was brought up in the same era, says they all wore the same kind of pinafores to school, and remarked how authentic it all was. The children in the first two episodes were amazing. I hope they continue and film the rest of the 3 books. The last episode certainly ended as if they were setting it up for the next series.

KatyK Wed 19-Dec-18 09:54:29

We absolutely love this. It's so well acted and the way it's filmed makes it almost like a documentary. Excellent.

Jane43 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:52:34

I’ve just watched the last episode and will be very disappointed if they don’t continue the story. As you say Crystaltipps the ending of the last episode seemed to be setting the scene for the next series. I had to check that it really was the last episode, sadly it was.