Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Favourite

(14 Posts)
Teetime Mon 07-Jan-19 19:31:50

We have just been to see this very spicy film...well worth the trip but be warned it is very naughty in parts.

Grammaretto Tue 08-Jan-19 00:53:33

It's billed as a comedy. I wouldn't call it a comedy. More like Alice in Wonderland.
Knowing a lot of the story is true makes it tragic when you realise that Queen Anne lost 17 babies.

Humbertbear Tue 08-Jan-19 08:10:38

It was good to see a film with three strong female roles. Olivia Coleman was excellent as Queen Anne.

Floradora9 Wed 09-Jan-19 18:47:03

We went to-day to see this and I really did not like it . It was billed as a comedy but did not rate a titter from us . The rabbits which featured a lot were sheer invention and I disliked the bad language . Perhaps it was used at that time but was not needed. Olivia Coleman was great but I felt the whole film was a send up of this poor woman who lost so many children and had an unhappy life.

TerriBull Thu 10-Jan-19 10:08:34

I'm going to see it tonight will probably come back to this thread tomorrow.

MawBroon Thu 10-Jan-19 10:14:33

Saw this on New Years Day and loved it!
Al three women were strong leads, Colman in particular magnificent.
Quirky, off the wall and hugely entertaining!

Marelli Thu 10-Jan-19 10:54:24

Saw it last week and did enjoy it. I hadn't seen it advertised it as a comedy (apart from the bit where Queen Anne shouts at the little footman to look at her, then not to look at her!) I wouldn't really consider it a comedy and so many parts of it showed her to be a sad and lonely woman, lacking in confidence.
To have carried and lost so many babies might have contributed to this, perhaps.

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Jan-19 11:10:52

I like Olivia Colman, but I’m not sure I’m going to enjoy this film, having read about the fictional rabbits and the very-likely-never-happened lesbian storylines. I was taught that Queen Anne was a decent monarch, despite her tragic personal life, and cleared up a lot of the mess left behind by her predecessors. It seems sad that she’s remembered more as a comic caricature, and from what I’ve read, this film won’t give a different perspective.

mischief Fri 11-Jan-19 10:21:26

I went to see this film last night. I wouldn't call it a comedy either, it raised a titter now and then but one or two were from shock rather than humour. Olivia Coleman was brilliant and is being rightly recognised as such. Strong leads from all 3 women, very refreshing, but if this was anything like the life Queen Ann led, I feel very sorry for her.

If there is something I don't like in a film I just use my eyelids, like every time someone was sick (which was quite often). I found it entertaining and quirky but a comedy - no.

TerriBull Fri 11-Jan-19 11:03:07

I also went to see it last night, I didn't love it, or hate it. It was one of those films that I'm not sure I'd bother to watch again when it appears on tv. Olivia Colman was brilliant in it, quite funny at times, but of course Q. A's life was tragic. Although she was of her time in losing that many children, in spite of a life of privilege, one can't underestimate that her experiences would be one long series of heartbreaks. Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone particularly, given she's American and did the accent very well, were both very good. I had read a bit about Queen Anne and Sarah Churchill so knew about the pseudonyms of Mrs Morley and Mrs Freeman. Be prepared for the film being a bit lewd in parts with lots of expletives.

Lazigirl Mon 14-Jan-19 10:23:09

Was disappointed in this film after all the hype. Thought the mix of modern dialogue, dance and music, didn't gel with the period setting. Plenty of female sex, which the plot revolved around. I didn't like the modern format of short "chapters" of storyline, intrusive music and noise, and just didn't think it worked on a comic level, or otherwise, although I think Olivia Colman is a very good actress.

gma Tue 15-Jan-19 18:28:32

I went to see The Favourite with three friends yesterday afternoon. And the result was as follows.....
Loved it,,,,1
Quite liked it...2
Hated it.....1
I was the one who loved it. Maybe because it was so different to what I usually watch, getting out of my comfort zone! Olivia Colman was fantastic as Queen Anne and Rachel weize and Emma stone brilliant. You could not help but feel sympathy for QA, she had an awful life I think, 17 pregnancies and very bad health. Were the rabbits substitutes for all her lost babies, poor woman!
As regards the lewd language, apparently the “c” word was commonly used. I don’t know what some viewers expected! It was not a sanitised bawdy period film by any means! The costumes, wigs and makeup were outstanding and the settings immaculate. Go and see it gransnetters just for the experience, BUT don’t take your elderly maiden auntie!

PECS Mon 21-Jan-19 21:29:49

I saw it last week with DH and we both enjoyed the film. I thought it was well directed. It was a bitter sweet, funny, sad, lewd, warm, violent and loosely based on history!

Beammeupscottie Mon 28-Jan-19 13:37:22

Saw it last night and agree with Floradora. Full of lewdness and unnecessary expletives which are there to draw in a young audience. Take away the lesbo stuff (never proved) and the four letter words and you have a rather boring story of a pathetic queen and hangerson.