Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Danny Dyer

(22 Posts)
Mapleleaf Mon 18-Feb-19 16:04:15

His voice really irritates me, I’m afraid, and the trailers portrayed it as somewhat gimmicky which put me right off watching it, as well. (It might not have been, but the trailer didn’t encourage me to give it a try, just grated on me).

blondenana Mon 18-Feb-19 11:20:18

Cant stand Danny Dyer, but i had a very sexy dream about him once, omg why

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Feb-19 11:12:24

I think Danny Dyer is very well away that being stupid is his USP and he is cashing in on that as best he can; see also the late Jade Goody, Stacey Solomon, Joey Essex.

Fair play to him. You have to make your money the best way you know how.

Labaik Mon 18-Feb-19 11:09:09

I loved his recent two part history programme. Like Horrible Histories but for grown ups.

morethan2 Mon 18-Feb-19 06:27:26

I’m all for a bit of lighthearted fun nowadays. It made me smile. I don’t watch eastenders or love island so only really became aware of him through ‘who do you think you are’ I’m partial to a bit of a cheeky chappy sort though. Well we all have our weaknesses blush

Gettingitrightoneday Mon 18-Feb-19 00:56:25

I think that Danny Dyer is being exploited by the BBC. Their coverage of his royal connections are making him look really stupid.

I think I would have crawled away and hidden if I had been subjected that sort of publicity.

Labaik Mon 18-Feb-19 00:13:27

Hadn't realised that, early in his career he had done a lot of Harold Pinter stuff; Pinter himself specifically wanting him to do it [I'm hoping I've got the right writer here; need to double check...]...

paddyann Sat 02-Feb-19 16:15:15

not a fan and it always amazes me when he wins awards as "best actor" anything I've seen him in he appears to play himself ..I dont watch the Love Island thing but saw his daughter on a morning programme and she seems to bit a chip off the old block so I've swerve her too .

sodapop Sat 02-Feb-19 12:56:35

History " dumbed down " Not sure Danny Dyer in a cod piece is an image I want to retain.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Feb-19 12:36:01

Neither he nor his daughter with the same name (how daft is that) appeal to me so I can’t be bothered to watch him, I saw him on Who do you think you are, mildly interesting but not impressed with his lineage as others have said given the time and money to trace it we will all have some common ancestors and that alone doesn’t make him interesting and how anyone can imagine he has traits of William the Conquerer that are not long long diluted I m not sure

Septimia Sat 02-Feb-19 12:27:58

I didn't watch it, mainly because I can't stand him either, although I have read reviews of the programme. I expect the BBC thought it would make good viewing.
My husband is currently doing his family tree and has traced his family back - sometimes through the female line - to Robert the Bruce and further. Everyone is related because mathematically, if you double your grandparents, great-grandparents etc back through time, you eventually reach a stage where you have more ancestors than the population of the country at that time. So, if you're of British origin, you'll probably be related to Edward III too. The same rule will apply in other countries.

EllanVannin Sat 02-Feb-19 11:09:51

I can't stand the man so didn't watch it, or anything else which he appears in.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:08:57

Amazing isn’t it to think of his genealogy?

He does seem to over-play the Cockney geezer rather too much.
The thing is many of us have the same ancestors if we could track all our lineage - so we could probably be related to each other - and to Danny Dyer grin

TerriBull Sat 02-Feb-19 10:50:26

I did find him amusing on WDYTYA. I quite like him, but not enough to watch him for a full hour, he has a tendency to overplay the professional cockney geezer and it all becomes a bit grating after a while. I find that about anybody who labours the stereotype wherever they are from.

eazybee Sat 02-Feb-19 10:38:19

I enjoyed it, and regret only watching parts of the episodes. It was a fascinating insight into ancient families, and possibly DD is very like William the Conqueror; short, stocky, pugnacious and commanding; he appeared to know how to ride, could shoot a bow and arrow accurately, and could move well, as in dance moves. More to him than appears.

glammanana Sat 02-Feb-19 10:33:07

I am all for history being made interesting and fun but I just can't connect with Danny Dyer he comes across to me as trying to over act the Cockney Geezer chap far too much for my liking,

henetha Sat 02-Feb-19 10:28:11

I'm fascinated by his background, and I like him. Those two programmes were very entertaining and also informative.
I never knew that King Rollo of the Vikings was an ancestor of William the Conqueror...and that Norman comes from Norseman, and so many other things.
It made history interesting.

fiorentina51 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:22:56

I watched both episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them. He's cultivated the cockney geezer persona but I suspect there's more to him than that. Apparently, he was a protégé of the playwright Harold Pinter and has appeared in several of his plays.
I found him an engaging presenter and more importantly, he made me laugh.

Pittcity Sat 02-Feb-19 08:17:41

I thought it was very funny.
If he got together with Lucy Worsley they might make learning history fun.

dragonfly46 Sat 02-Feb-19 08:04:31

I cannot stand him and he and his daughter seem to be on everything at the moment. The BBC always have a flavour of the month!

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 08:00:22

Actually I saw it was on and swerved it travelsafar for the same reason as you but on your recommendation I think I’ll watch it on catch up.
Amazing isn’t it to think of his genealogy?

travelsafar Sat 02-Feb-19 07:42:46

I didn't intend to watch this program as the way Danny speaks irritates me, but i did and throughly enjoyed it. Sometimes i found myself laughing out loud at the antics. It was interesting historically too. What i most loved was his sense of pride of belonging to all these famous people from centuries ago. If you haven't seen it give it a whirl.smile