Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rave On - Buddy Holly story BBC 4

(6 Posts)
Jane43 Sun 03-Feb-19 14:13:41

We’ve seen Buddy the musical too KatyK, we enjoyed it very much.

Elrel Sun 03-Feb-19 14:12:25

I was at college and sat stunned in a coffee bar that morning. It was hard to believe that he, the Big Bopper and the teenaged Ritchie Valens were gone. I still smile when I hear his music and wonder what he would have achieved had he lived longer.
In the '80s I took a 13 year old to the stageshow 'Buddy'. We agreed that in the second half we really felt as if we were at that last concert. Around the same time we watched the film La Bamba at home and at the end a whole group of mid teen boys were blinking hard and sniffing a little. He was so young and on his first tour.
I'll be watching Friday's programme, I now have Rave On as an earworm!

Ginny42 Sun 03-Feb-19 13:45:19

I have always loved Buddy Holly's music, but hearing the praise of his talent by eminent musicians made me realise all these years later just how talented he was. It was very moving to listen to the effect of his untimely death had on his wife and his brother. They spoke so lovingly about him.

It was lovely to hear Don McLean explain now he wrote 'American Pie' - He was 14 years old and had turned up for his paper round when he saw the headlines and wept.

'I still remember how I cried when I heard about his widowed bride... the day the music died.' A beautiful tribute to Buddy.

Telly Sun 03-Feb-19 13:31:28

Saw this last night, we recorded it. I think it was a new bio as I have seen others before. Thought it was very moving, plus a little reminder that we are all getting on a bit. He was talented though and packed such a lot in to a short life.

KatyK Sun 03-Feb-19 13:20:51

My DH loved Buddy Holly but I'd never taken much notice of him as he was slightly before my time and I was into the Beatles and all that stuff. However we went to see the musical Buddy which is fantastic. My eyes were opened to Buddy and all the wonderful stuff he wrote. We've seen the musical three or four times now and would go again if it comes around. I think we've seen the programme you mention *Jane"

Jane43 Sun 03-Feb-19 13:13:12

This was one of the regular Friday night music programmes on BBC 4. It is such sad story which impacted me when I heard the news of his death. I was 16 and still at school and I remember all the girls in my class being shocked and tearful. It was sad to hear that he went on the fateful tour because he needed the money, having been ripped off by his management which was a very common occurrence then. They travelled in a freezing cold bus from one venue to another - nothing like the luxurious tour buses musicians have today, just an old school bus. One of his band members actually had to be admitted to hospital because of frostbite in his toes. The saddest part was seeing his wife Maria Elena saying that she lost the baby she was carrying because of the shock and grief. It was also sad to see his brother still moved to tears when recalling that he had to tell his parents what had happened. Some light relief came from his drummer Jerry Allison saying that he had asked that the song Cindy Lou be changed to Peggy Sue to impress the girl he was seeing. With a wry smile he said he wished it had stayed Cindy Lou, the fact that he referred to Peggy Sue as ‘my first ex wife’ said it all. A very nostalgic programme for me.