Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Victoria

(13 Posts)
Caledonai14 Mon 25-Mar-19 10:29:46

I've loved every minute of Victoria and it looks like this is going to be a continuation, but I have one small gripe and it's not a spoiler so probably safe to read on if you are keeping it for later.

I'm having problems working out what Prince Albert is saying. The combination of his low mumbling and his moustache seem to be doing it. I don't remember having a problem with it in previous episodes and I'm hearing everyone else, even when they are accented.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else notices this.

merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 10:41:47

Yes. I had to turn up the volume.

sassenach512 Mon 25-Mar-19 10:44:54

Yes Caledonail4 I find myself winding it back to re-hear what he's saying.

I wonder if Prince Albert was as dull and straight-laced as he's being portrayed? Obviously Victoria saw a different side to him but surely Albert wasn't as stuffy in real life?

Jane10 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:01:50

I agree. He was hard to make out. Lucy Worsley, that TV historian, has a book out. I don't think she was v impressed by Albert. I must try to find the book. Her one about Jane Austen was excellent: interesting and very readable.

sassenach512 Mon 25-Mar-19 11:25:19

I may have to look for that book Jane10 I like Lucy Worsley. Queen Victoria was never a favourite of mine however, though I love watching the show. Did she really have her dresses made over for her half-sister? I loved the little dig Feodora made about the dresses probably being too short for her and Victoria suggested putting a ruffle on the hem smile

Jane10 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:29:33

I just downloaded it. It looks very good. From the blurb Albert was an unpleasant, controlling piece of work!

Lily65 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:47:56

Jane, when you say downloaded I assume you mean a kindle? I am wondering if this might suit me. Anybody got any experiences.....good or bad please?

gillybob Mon 25-Mar-19 12:55:20

I got the Lucy Worsley “Victoria” book for Christmas Jane10 . I haven’t had chance to read it yet. I agree the Jane Austin one was brilliant and very easy reading too which suits he just fine. I love watching her history programs on TV and I think DH has a ( not so) secret crush on her . smile

Jane10 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:58:42

Lily65 do you mean experience of Kindle? I can't imagine life without mine. I have a red cover for it so it opens like a book. I have 600+ books on it. So much space saved around the house.

Jane10 Mon 25-Mar-19 12:59:43

I should say that my Kindle is only for novels and not work stuff or any Internet browsing. My Kindle my rules!

gillybob Mon 25-Mar-19 12:59:45

Just noticed that Amazon have the Victoria book on offer for £6.99 in hardback . It’s a lovely looking book so worth paying that little extra for. smile

PernillaVanilla Mon 25-Mar-19 13:00:14

Lucy Worsley is lovely. i sent her an email a few years back before she was very famous asking about a dress she had worn on TV. She replied in person and made some suggestions about how I might find it as it had sold out on the main web site where it was featured.

1inamillion Mon 25-Mar-19 13:04:39

Prince Albert's mumbling and and not far off whispering has been annoying throughout the series but last night was almost laughable. We turned the volume up and neither of us has hearing problems.
It is interesting to see how Albert's role as Consort is portrayed. Jenna Coleman is terrific as Victoria, she certainly stood up to Palmerston didn't she.