Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Border Country-When Ireland was divided

(3 Posts)
trisher Thu 04-Apr-19 10:59:00

Something to watch. It's harrowing listening to the stories of violence. But the accounts of smuggling, wedding dresses. children in 5 layers of clothes, butter etc are so funny. The friendship between the 2 women one ex IRA, one whose husband was killed by the IRA gave a message of hope. But it left me wondering what would happen after Brexit. There is still an undercurrent of violence that could erupt at any time. If you haven't seen it it's worth a watch and it certainly makes you think.

paddyann Thu 04-Apr-19 11:13:49

We were talking about going over to Donegal just yesterday .The past years have been great and incident free travelling through the Province.Not so when there was a border,I well remember cars being hijacked on the road and families traumatised left sitting on the roadside.The cars would be found burnt out a few miles further on the same road.It was so bad one year we changed our ferry crossing from larne to Rosslare to avoid NI and the "troubles" meaning a very long drive on both sides of the Irish sea .That was just the wee stuff ,I know there was much worse going on but I wouldn't wish a return to those times for the good people of Ireland under any circumstances .Lets hope someone has enough sense to make sure it doesn't happen.

trisher Thu 04-Apr-19 17:11:10

paddyann that must have been a nightmare. The programme did show how utterly ridiculous a border was. The awful violence that centered around it must never be allowed to start up again. I think everyone who voted leave should be made to watch this programme and then have to explain what they would do.