Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Victim

(87 Posts)
SisterAct Mon 08-Apr-19 22:29:47

Good viewing tonight at 9.00. On for four more this week?

Marelli Thu 02-May-19 13:53:39

Thanks, Jane43. It must've been something unrelated to the case, then.
Mystery solved. ?

Jane43 Thu 02-May-19 12:23:28

Martello, he was in prison for fraud as I remember.

Marelli Tue 30-Apr-19 21:45:29

I've only just caught up with The Victim and really enjoyed it, but please, can someone tell me why the first husband (the murdered boy's father) was in prison?

Elrel Wed 17-Apr-19 23:37:11

Bleak and disturbing but certainly memorable and thought provoking.

Karanlouise Wed 17-Apr-19 12:42:17

Totally agree too, bluebelle and sparklefizz. Such a thought provoking and complex series that makes you look at many issues from different perspectives.

Sparklefizz Wed 17-Apr-19 11:03:46

I totally agree BlueBelle. I have actually watched it a second time on iPlayer because I thought it was so powerful and thought-provoking. There were so many victims, not just the obvious one.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-19 08:18:15

I ve only just watched this on my ipad so late to the game I loved it, thought it was a very powerful message and what superb acting by the main character That last scene was moving on both sides for me how can you feel sorry for a murderer ... but I did
Well written, thought provoking and very well acted an excellent production

maryeliza54 Mon 15-Apr-19 09:09:26

Are =and

maryeliza54 Mon 15-Apr-19 09:09:09

There’s a difference between judging are caring - we can judge what someone has done and find it totally unacceptable but still care about them. I think in the context of this particular scenario the issues are much more complex than in some other examples. There were many victims - the boy obviously to start with, Eddie, Anna and the members of both their families. The drug addict who carried out the attack- all far too complex for any easy judgement imo. But not all cases of murder are this complex and nuanced

mumofmadboys Sun 14-Apr-19 22:49:29

I suppose it is not our job to judge. We need to care for both the victim and the perpetrator. Just pondering!!

Gonegirl Sun 14-Apr-19 20:51:48

Hmmm.

maryeliza54 Sun 14-Apr-19 20:42:52

The man didn’t kill the child - a damaged 13 year old boy did

Gonegirl Sun 14-Apr-19 20:22:56

Nope. Can't get it.

Ne'er mind.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 20:12:00

So your soul is not ready to ‘lie down in that grass’ but perhaps it’s not yours to judge because it is fiction.

Gonegirl Sun 14-Apr-19 19:59:47

But I couldn't not judge the man who killed the child. No matter what happened to him in his past.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 19:53:54

Yes momb I think that is exactly what it means.

How refreshing and inspiring ?

mumofmadboys Sun 14-Apr-19 19:50:38

Does it mean when we cease to judge others the world appears a much richer place? ?

Gonegirl Sun 14-Apr-19 18:33:35

The rest of that quote is (Googled it) "When the soul lies down in that grass the world is too full to talk about"

I still have not a single clue what it means though.

mumofmadboys Sun 14-Apr-19 18:00:06

'Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there'. Rumi.
I enjoyed this series very much. Thought provoking. There was a quote from Rumi at the end which I liked.

Gonegirl Sun 14-Apr-19 12:21:01

The torture/not torture marks came from him dragging the body down the bank to hide it.

Eloethan Sun 14-Apr-19 11:55:38

I think, because there were so many knife wounds, the police assumed that the little boy had been tortured. Although the report was that the child had been abducted, Eddie said that the child had in fact disturbed him while he was self-harming. It seems that Eddie was the victim of extreme parental neglect and possibly others forms of abuse and, on being interrupted and questioned by the little boy, all his anger and frustration came out in the violent attack.

Of course, some people will see the plot as distasteful for a number of reasons, including its similarity to real life crimes and its graphic descriptions. My own opinion was that it raised some important issues. Unlike many dramas these days, it was not cliched and did not use acts of extreme violence to entertain people or reinforce populist views but to make them think.

Callistemon Sat 13-Apr-19 10:05:13

But it’s easy to pick holes whereas it’s the central question/dilemma that really matters.
I wasn't picking holes for the sake of it; it just seem to be in rather close proximity. Usually if people have been given a new identity for whatever reason, criminal or witness, I do not think they are relocated that close to their original address.

Yes, I know where they are, I have a friend from Edinburgh and another from Port Glasgow.

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 07:02:36

It’s actually 58 miles but whereas Edinburgh is on the East Port Glasgow is on the west. Scotland is very narrow at that point and that central belt is the most heavily populated.

I think he said he chose that over England as his cell mate lived there and he wanted to have one person who knew who he really was.

But it’s easy to pick holes whereas it’s the central question/dilemma that really matters.

Callistemon Fri 12-Apr-19 22:34:40

Those in authority who gave him the new identity would have arranged for him to move to Port Glasgow - but it is not that far from Edinburgh, 70 miles or so.
I am surprised that he hadn't been moved much further away.

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 22:18:48

By ‘the present’ I mean the trial.