Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Durrells.

(29 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 09-Apr-19 18:28:18

Decided to watch this on Netflix and was hooked straight away.The family are all bonkers but had me hooting with laughter at their antics. smile
There are only two seasons on netflix and the new series which started on Sunday on ITV is season 4.
Anyone know where will i find season 3, seems a shame to miss out on a huge chunk.?

SueDonim Wed 15-May-19 17:06:57

I got the three books for 99p on Kindle last year. I hadn't read them since I was a teenager and I thought that the tv series reflected the books very well.

Artistic licence was used on tv with the love affair between Louisa and Spiros but then Gerald Durrell used atistic licence when he wrote the books so I don't see a problem with that.

DanniRae Wed 15-May-19 16:37:03

I have put the 3 books that the series was based on on my kindle to read on holiday - a Greek Island but not Corfu (Rhodes).

Auntieflo Wed 15-May-19 14:26:20

I was like Namsnanny, in that I read the books years ago, and couldn’t picture the actors as The Durrells. I also found a copy of ‘Whatever happened to Margo?’ in a charity shop, and have just begun to read it.

Jane10 Wed 15-May-19 13:01:50

That's the one I meant Shysal. Hope you enjoy it.

shysal Wed 15-May-19 12:51:03

Jane10, thanks for the book recommendation. I have ordered a second hand copy of 'Whatever Happened to Margo', which she wrote herself.

Menopaws Wed 15-May-19 12:38:13

Watch on Sunday at 7 to see how it progressed to Jersey zoo, I've done a lot of work for them and Gerald's legacy is a testament to how conservation should be seen and understood

Namsnanny Wed 15-May-19 12:07:23

I read the books years ago and loved them so much, I couldn’t bear to watch the tv series in case it ruined the memory!
The actress(can’t remember her name now) who plays the mother was perfect from the little I did see though!

Jane10 Wed 15-May-19 10:09:48

I see there's a programme on next Sunday on what happened next to the Durrells. That should be interesting.

seacliff Tue 14-May-19 21:04:46

I agree with most of you, I loved it. Just a warm bit of escapism, stunning scenery, a funny mad family, loved the Greek music too. I will miss it.

Deedaa Tue 14-May-19 20:53:04

Louisa and Spiro were the big stumbling block in the series, but I found the last episode really sad. I was really worried about Larry and his spying in spite of knowing full well that he survived the war happily.

katie1 Tue 14-May-19 19:41:25

I will really miss The Durrells, it was pure indulgent escapism. I couldn’t stop the tears when Louisa and Spiros decided they couldn’t be together sad

KatyK Mon 13-May-19 14:10:20

I'll miss the Durrells too.

Beammeupscottie Mon 13-May-19 13:24:01

That phoney love affair really got up my nose; so ridiculous and only dreamed up because the actor was so good looking. That beach scene was so cheesy.Does anyone remember the last series when Brian Blessed played Spiros in a much convincing way with his Magumpies!

SueDonim Mon 13-May-19 12:27:15

I'm another who is sad that The Durrells has ended. It was such relaxing viewing although you could feel the storm clouds brewing in the last episodes.

The series sent me back to re-read the books and I was again transported to Corfu, which was a delight.

There's a lovely interview with Gerald Durrell's widow in the Telegraph. She says there was no affair with Spiros but he was a good friend to them all.

shysal Mon 13-May-19 11:52:41

I remember meeting Gerald Durrell at Jersey Zoo years ago. He was happy to chat about his conservation work, and was very pleasant.
I would love to know whether the Louisa/Spiros romance really happened. Anyone read the books?

DanniRae Mon 13-May-19 11:33:36

My husband and I really loved the Durrells and will miss it now it's finished.
We also love Jersey Zoo that Gerald started and visit there whenever we are on holiday in Jersey.
I was sad that Louisa didn't end up with the man that she loved (can't recall his name) and loved the way he called her "Mrs Durrells"!

grannyqueenie Mon 13-May-19 11:27:05

I do love a good murder, an edgy drama or a fact filled documentary but programmes like the Durrells and Doc Martin are perfect for a bit of feel good escapism.

Jane10 Mon 13-May-19 11:19:23

I read the book 'Whatever Happened to Margot' recently. It was quite good fun.

Pippa000 Mon 13-May-19 10:38:01

The ending, with the play as the final parting shot reminded me of the Sound of Music, where they all on stage and escaped at the beginning of the occupation. I do wonder how true to fact the Durrell's leaving was.

I will certainly miss this and Victoria on a Sunday evening.

Jane10 Mon 13-May-19 09:59:15

I really looked forward to the Durrells every Sunday night. It was a lovely burst of sunshine. So nice to have a change from murders and nasty crime dramas. Just hoping for a new series of Doc Martin.

shysal Mon 13-May-19 09:19:30

I am so sad that it has come to an end. It was gentle family viewing, not often seen these days.

Buffybee Mon 13-May-19 09:11:40

I will miss the Durells, such a lovely series and was something to look forward to every week.
I also had tears in my eyes watching the final episode last night.

NanaandGrampy Mon 13-May-19 09:00:12

I loved the books as a child and the series was equally good . I shall miss this series on a Sunday night, not much on the Tv sometimes that is an inoffensive as this . Just beautiful scenery and humour. Lovely .

ayse Mon 13-May-19 08:59:04

I’m sad there will be no more Durells. I wish there were more series like this with such a feel good factor. I’m fed up with so much crime, although I enjoy them too.

More like this please

travelsafar Mon 13-May-19 08:31:37

So sad it was the final episode last night.Poor Louisa and Spiros never managed to get together in the end.The scene on the beach was so emotional i had tears in my eyes for them.Great Acting. I will miss this crazy family on a Sunday night. sad