Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Don't forget the Driver.

(13 Posts)
Deedaa Wed 10-Apr-19 22:08:55

Anyone else watching this? I loved the first episode. Toby Jones is so very good at playing the ordinary man. I don't know much about coach travel but driving round Europe with DH in his lorry seems to have a lot of similarities. Hope the rest of the series is as good.

sodapop Wed 10-Apr-19 22:12:55

Oh no I forgot all about it. I like Toby Jones.

rubysong Wed 10-Apr-19 22:31:26

We were looking forward to it as we loved 'Detectorists' with Toby Jones. We were disappointed and thought the storyline was weak and it seemed to ramble and wasn't funny. We won't be watching next week.

Labaik Wed 10-Apr-19 22:53:56

I only caught the second half . May try to watch it from the beginning but didn't like what I saw.

yggdrasil Thu 11-Apr-19 06:06:39

I understood it was a comedy. But it wasn't. It was very sad, no redeeming features. I don't find a sympathetic man put upon by all his family and work mates as funny and I won't watch again

Grannyknot Thu 11-Apr-19 12:35:14

I watched the first episode, I like Toby Jones, but I didn't like the show one bit! Couldn't make out whether it was meant to be funny (it's not).

I agree with yggdrasil I found it sad - and quite odd too.

Beammeupscottie Sat 13-Apr-19 12:26:20

I think it is brilliant. It sums up the state of Britain to-day. It is not meant to be funny all the time, I see it as tragi-comedy.

Pittcity Sat 13-Apr-19 13:59:30

I agree with Beammeup
I wonder if there's more to the body on the beach story....why did he walk away when his brother asked about it?

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 14:05:35

Missed first episode, watched second, but think I need to see more before I make up my mind about it. Loved detectorists, and love Toby Jones, so really want to like it!

Beammeupscottie Sat 13-Apr-19 17:36:09

I think it is an example of life to-day. TJ walks away from the dead asylum seeker not wanting to be involved. The greedy booze cruise pensioners got me; not a dignified portrait of old age. Avarice and Indifference is all over this. What do people care about in this 21st century is the underlying message.

Labaik Mon 15-Apr-19 13:52:00

I watched a couple of episodes last night [although I did fall asleep during episode 2]. I think what disappoints me is the quality of the dialogue and the lack of humour; pathos needs a dash of humour for it to work. Also, Toby Jones's character is too close to his persona in Detectorists. I'll stick with it, though.

Labaik Wed 17-Apr-19 09:34:20

Have now watched the whole series and think it's worth sticking with.

Beammeupscottie Thu 18-Apr-19 12:56:08

Have now watched four episodes and nearly choked with laughing at Barry's from Oz's reception. Brilliant the way the asylum seekers are the wise and worthy ones!