Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Village

(14 Posts)
Lily65 Wed 17-Apr-19 16:33:05

It's an oldie ( revisited because TV is so bad) but I did enjoy it, although towards the end of series 2 it became a bit maudlin.
Apparently further series were planned but didn't come to fruition.

I would love to see more Maxine Peake, Sarah Lancashire , Siobhan Finneran,Lorraine Ashborne and so on.

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 09:47:56

I don’t know the series, Lily65, but I was just curious about your post as I think television has never been so good! We only have Freeview, but still never have the time to watch all the things we fancy.

Lily65 Thu 18-Apr-19 17:47:46

Oh gosh.....what goodies am I missing out on please?

Give it a go, if you like a good story.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Apr-19 18:24:19

I remember this, and enjoyed it. I was disappointed that it wasn’t recommissioned, as the intention was to continue until the year 2000

Labaik Thu 18-Apr-19 18:38:34

I missed the last few episodes unfortunately but I did think it was very good.

Jane10 Thu 18-Apr-19 18:42:29

Where did you find it? I-player? Netflix?

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 19:27:58

Well, this'll be very boring for you, Lily, as we mustn't like the same things, but you did ask! These are the programmes I've either just finished watching/recorded in the hope of getting round to eventually/am following at the moment. And I think they're all worth a watch:

Fleabag, Have I Got News for You, Only Connect, University Challenge, Impossible, Call the Midwife, Line of Duty, The Bay, Trust Me, Baptiste, Mastermind, The Victim, Victoria, The Durrells, Cheat, Derry Girls, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Gogglebox, Earth from Space, A House through Time, 24 Hours in Police Custody, Race across the World and the recent BBC series about the Yorkshire Ripper investigation.

New series coming up shortly, and which I'm looking forward to:

Peaky Blinders, Gentleman Jack, War of the Worlds, Catch 22, Poldark, Happy Valley, Killing Eve, Keeping Faith, Homeland, Liar.

The only thing I get to see that's not on terrestrial TV is Netflix's The Crown, which I'm trying to follow at DD2's when I'm looking after DGS4 and he has a nap! It's fascinating.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 20:25:49

Our box is 74% full which means we should watch a few things and delete.
Much of the stuff we have recorded sounds like your recordings, Maggiemaybe.

Will we ever get to watch it all or will we be deleting it?

lemongrove Thu 18-Apr-19 20:31:55

I thought this was the film ‘The Village’, but a series so not the same thing.
I would like to see the old series American Gothic again, wonder if it’s on Amazon to buy the box set, must have a look.

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 22:03:04

Oh, Callistemon, I think we’ll have to delete some of our recordings - there just aren’t enough hours in a day! I’ve just spotted the whole of the last series of Last Tango in Halifax sitting there - how long have we had that? grin

Labaik Fri 19-Apr-19 09:19:25

Ever since I was able to video things etc I've realised that, once recorded I feel that, somehow it's in my brain somewhere and I don't have to watch it. And I don't make a point of actually watching it when it's on as I can record it. I've even got boxes of VHS recordings that I still 'mean' to watch. It actually stresses me out that there is so much catchup watching I need to do.

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 10:59:38

There are programmes I wish I'd recorded and didn't and lots of recordings that I think 'Why'?

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Apr-19 16:09:05

I seem to have rather a lot of children’s films too that I have recorded just in case the grandsons ever fancy sitting down quietly and watching one when they visit. Not a cat in hell’s chance really. Unless I delete them.....

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 20:06:36

I may delete ours (apart from Stick Man)