Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Surgeons.At the Edge of life

(13 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 24-Apr-19 08:57:20

Did anyone else watch this last night on BBC2.
I have been following this new series for a couple of weeks but last night's operations held me spellbound.
The skill and expertise of the teams in the theatre was so amazing. How fantastic to do a job which changes a person's life so dramatically for the best.
They are the Superheros of today for me.

aggie Wed 24-Apr-19 09:00:33

I didn't think it would be as enthralling , I will be watching the next one

Niobe Wed 24-Apr-19 09:20:49

I watched it and I do agree that it was engrossing. I will never complain about my little , or large, ailments again. It really made me appreciate my own good health.

PamelaJ1 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:23:49

How amazing is this programme.
The surgeons skill is unbelievable.

Charleygirl5 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:37:11

I always record it. I personally think it is well worth watching.

annodomini Wed 24-Apr-19 10:24:48

I did watch it with bated breath, wondering how any human being could withstand so much prolonged surgery. I was massively relieved when they were seen on their feet and on their way to recovery. I can only marvel at the skill - not to mention the stamina - of the surgeons who carried out these procedures.

SueDonim Wed 24-Apr-19 11:50:20

I haven't seen the latest episode but I've been watching since the last series. The things they do are astounding, mind boggling. You can scarely credit anyone could even come up with such amazing ideas!

I expect many GNetters remember the first successful heart transplant, back in the 60's and how groundbreaking that was.

Deedaa Wed 24-Apr-19 20:44:10

It was amazing wasn't it? I think the butcher must have particularly enjoyed watching his own operation, "Ooh I recognise that bone"! It made my knee replacements seem very small beer.

Resurgam123 Fri 17-May-19 23:29:50

It is well worth watching. Unless you are too queamish to watch.

crazyH Fri 17-May-19 23:50:05

I missed that episode. I always watch it. My son is a Consultant Neurosurgeon. Yes, they do a marvellous job, It's hard work, and tough on the neck and back. He makes sure he has regular massage therapy, and touch wood, so far no complaints.

Resurgam123 Sat 18-May-19 06:37:08

Squeamish, not queamish..

Willow500 Sat 18-May-19 06:54:51

We've recently started watching this and marvel at what the team of surgeons are able to achieve. My husband was particularly interested in the one where a piece of hip bone was reproduced by 3D printing a prototype as he's just got a 3D printer - I might volunteer him for theatre work when he gets more proficient grin

TwiceAsNice Sat 18-May-19 08:52:39

It’s totally amazing. How can they stand for so long and concentrate to that extent. How can you do it without eating, drinking, going to the loo?! It must take a toll on their own health in the end