Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Actors with 'baddie/dodgy' faces.

(2 Posts)
Witzend Mon 29-Apr-19 09:43:31

Yesterday afternoon, given a few hours of blissful peace from a whole houseful (all off to watch the Marathon!) I watched an old episode of Wallander.

One of the characters was presented as a very rich philanthropist, doing lots of good works among the very poor in Africa.

However, as soon as he appeared I could tell from his face (goodlooking but just something about it) that he was going to turn out dodgy, and sure enough he was exceedingly so - trafficking in body parts from those he was 'helping'.

Why do casting directors do this, though? Why not choose someone whose looks don't give he game away so soon? It's so common to be able to spot a baddie very quickly.

It would make a nice change for one or two of the type-cast baddie/dodgy types to play the good guy for a change. Not to mention less easy for the likes of me to predict the outcome.

grannyticktock Mon 29-Apr-19 09:57:46

At least it's not as bad as those old Westerns when the baddies wore black hats and the goodies white ones!

But don't you think life is often like that? Occasionally there are plausible rogues who appear quite saintly at first, but very often you get a feeling about someone right from the start. Personality and intentions do show through, and I wouldn't like directors to go too far in trying to confound our expectations.