Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Dementia Choir

(11 Posts)
callgirl1 Mon 06-May-19 00:10:11

I`ve just watched this on Iplayer from last Thursday, and it`s one of the most uplifting programmes that I`ve ever seen. I know that Kittylester does some work with Alzheimer sufferers and music, I wonder if she saw it. I`ll definitely be watching the second part next week.

kittylester Mon 06-May-19 08:00:11

Hi *callgirl, thank you, yes I did. Wasnt it fabulous?

After funding was withdrawn for Singing for the Brain in our area, a couple of friends set up a Community Interest Company to provide singing groups in various places. They are really busy and will no doubt be even busier after the programme.

EllanVannin Mon 06-May-19 08:17:16

Singing as a therapy for sufferers was highlighted a while back when father and son were singing on a car journey. The driver's father had a lovely voice so much so that they went to a recording studio. They had thousands of hits on Youtube.

It was a lovely and uplifting moment enjoyed by both father and son and a joy to watch. The proof of music being a great help was there for all to see. This therapy should be funded through the NHS.

sodapop Mon 06-May-19 08:21:34

Great programme callgirl I thought Vicky McClure was a good choice to host it. Such sad stories and some uplifting people.
My daughter works for Dementia UK and they organise choirs like this.

EllanVannin Mon 06-May-19 08:56:50

Just remembered the song father and son were singing----" Quando Quando.( spelling ? )

Telly Mon 06-May-19 09:23:05

Yes, it was a very positive program. Interesting to see the impact that music can have as a therapy.

Izabella Mon 06-May-19 09:48:03

There is another thread on this too.

callgirl1 Mon 06-May-19 17:08:08

I hadn`t seen it Izabella, where is it? Please, I should say, sorry.

kittylester Mon 06-May-19 17:44:12

No need to be sorry. It was so good it bears repeating.

Izabella Tue 07-May-19 09:51:38

Sorry not needed callgirl I find it increasingly difficult negotiating on here. My post sounded a bit blunt I think - just had a couple of 'foggy days.'

Ailsa43 Tue 07-May-19 11:04:57

I haven't seen it yet, I've got it recorded. If I get time later today I might sit down and watch it. I remember the father & son you're talking about they were on TV last year, and there's lots of youtube videos of them, fantastic!!