Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Montalbano

(53 Posts)
MawBroonsback Tue 07-May-19 22:00:32

Montalbano is coming back! ? ?

mokryna Sun 02-Jun-19 19:11:14

Loved it, but had a problem reading the subtitles sometimes when the background was light.

Lins1066 Sun 02-Jun-19 21:45:54

I love Montalbano, I've seen all the episodes.
He's gorgeous, so is the photography, the scenery, wonderful architecture, food..... What's not to like?

Eloethan Mon 03-Jun-19 02:21:32

My husband and I watched Montalbano last night - me for the first time, thinking it must be pretty good for it to be so popular.

I thought it was just about the most boring, badly acted and unconvincing drama I have ever watched on TV. And most of the dialogue was tedious and completely inconsequential. I fell asleep and didn't see the end, but won't bother to watch it.

He seems to be a bit of a sex symbol for some women - one of my friends included - and I just don't understand it.

Auntieflo Mon 03-Jun-19 08:17:15

Eloethan, same here. I thought it was me, as I was so looking forward to the series returning. The story! line was awful, a lot of programme for not much content. And as for Catarella, he was so over the top. Don't know if I will bother with any more.

SparklyGrandma Tue 04-Jun-19 23:50:56

I enjoyed it though it was a bit of a weak story....love the scenery, the language...

JessK Wed 05-Jun-19 10:50:36

Agree the story was a bit slow this episode. Apparently they got a bit of flack in Italy for the sympathetic view towards the boat people. I know they do have a lot of trouble with them all over Italy.

SparklyGrandma Thu 06-Jun-19 11:03:28

Eloethan he is handsome but more than that, he is empathetic towards victims, he is simpatico.....

granfromafar Thu 06-Jun-19 22:04:44

Have only just spotted this thread so sadly missed the epison Saturday. Hopefully it is on BBC iPlayer. Can't wait!

giulia Fri 07-Jun-19 07:19:01

Good news for you ladies (straight from the horse's mouth) - they are now preparing another three episodes for release next year.

Yes, his Brother is now head of the Partito Democratico (took over from Renzi). Has a slight speech defect, is twice the height but no, not as sexy.

travelsafar Fri 07-Jun-19 07:38:22

I think i must take a look at this program, everyone seems enthralled by it!!! smile

SparklyGrandma Fri 07-Jun-19 09:52:43

Thank you giulia....

SparklyGrandma Sun 16-Jun-19 11:25:40

So disappointed last night as the Montalbano they showed on BBC 4 was an old one.

Not impressed.

MawBroonsback Sun 16-Jun-19 11:54:11

They generally are! grin Doesn’t diminish the charm though!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 16-Jun-19 17:30:25

eleothan you have to watch it with a huge pinch of salt. That’s the charm.

Witzend Mon 17-Jun-19 10:10:29

We have loved it for ages.
I adore Catarella! (As well as Himself, obviously.)
Has anyone else read the books? I used to get them out of the library but alas have forgotten the author's name now, how dreadful.
Ah, I think I have it after all - Andrea Camilleri? (I dare say I have spelt that wrong.)
Yes, the one the other night was a repeat, but it was from so long ago we'd forgotten the outcome.

SparklyGrandma Mon 17-Jun-19 12:19:25

Andrea Camilleri, Witzend? I have read some too.

Watching Montalbano almost makes me feel like I am on holiday there...

Carillion Tue 18-Jun-19 09:43:50

This is a secret, wonderful gem. Love Montalbano and the other wonderful, cameo characters. Never been to Italy but feel like I have when I watch it. Prefer the older Montalbano!

JessK Tue 18-Jun-19 11:41:38

Have been to Sicily and it is a truly beautiful place. This lovely programme so reflects the people who live there. Compared to Italians elsewhere they are very quirky and have a devil may care attitude to live. Would really love to go back again.

Deedaa Tue 18-Jun-19 22:31:10

It hasn't been reported over here but Andrea Camillera is in intensive care in Rome after a cardiac arrest. Hope he will recover but he is 93!

SparklyGrandma Tue 18-Jun-19 23:04:26

Poor thing, Deedaa hope he recovers or is comfortable...

Fennel Sun 21-Jul-19 20:31:18

Delighted because I've found this series on BBC iplayer.
For the last 3 Sat. nights.
I watch a half or so one evening, the rest the next.
Apart from the good characters, the story lines are so clever.
I'm sorry to read about the writer being ill, but he's a good age. I bought one of his books once, in english, but never read it. It's much better on the screen, imo. Especially with these actors.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 21-Jul-19 20:42:52

Andrea died in Rome on Wednesday, loved all his books, and of course Salvo♥️

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 14:15:42

What a disappointment...this new series!
It seems mainly to be playing for laughs, and Caterella has become a caricature ( much more than in the earlier series.)
The relationship between Augello and Montalbano, which was free and easy previously is now a bit stilted.The cases themselves are more peculiar and unconvincing.
Am not a happy bunny!

annodomini Mon 29-Jul-19 15:59:11

They're repeats, at least the ones I've watched have been. I tune in and after while I get that déja vu experience and look for the date of its first showing.

silverlining48 Mon 29-Jul-19 16:56:45

I find the acting somewhat stilted and catarello very over the top. Reminds me as of an Italian Manuel (faulty Towers) The daily swim? not sure why we have to have that every episode. Generally it’s an easy, undemanding watch.
Why do I watch it, well the scenery is lovely and we always have bbc4 on a Saturday night as there is nothing better on other channels.