Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Should the Jeremy Kyle show be axed?

(129 Posts)
janeainsworth Tue 14-May-19 13:27:26

Jeremy Kyle: MP calls for ITV show to be axed for good https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48265740
disclaimer <I have never watched the Jeremy Kyle show>

Following the suicide of a participant, there have been calls for the show to be axed on the grounds that it exploits vulnerable people.

But don’t a lot of programmes do that?

What about the harrowing interviews of people whose lives have been ripped apart by tragedy, crime or natural disaster?

If the Jeremy Kyle show is axed, shouldn’t the broadcast media take a long hard look at themselves in the way they report other things?

SirChenjin Fri 17-May-19 12:15:50

Oh yes Danni - I love love love that programme! smile

DanniRae Fri 17-May-19 08:21:58

The only programme I enjoy where we see people crying is "Long Lost Family". Because they are crying with joy at meeting up with family members that they have longed to be reunited with and I definitely get emotional as well. Such an amazing programme - I hope it comes back soon!

whywhywhy Thu 16-May-19 22:54:38

I wish they would put some craft programmes on in its place. Instead of more antique stuff!

Tangerine Thu 16-May-19 22:37:59

Yes, I think it is time the programme was either axed or some proper guidelines were put in place.

In fairness, I think he does re-unite some families who have lost touch, establishes paternity gets some people help with their addictions.

Mostly it seems that the programme is, as others have said, goading people in unfortunate circumstances.

Granless Thu 16-May-19 22:10:23

SirChenjin - The Scottish Sun claims that the estranged wife says he was a paedophile but not charged and that she was abused by him for 15 years. I hope I’m safe stating this !

Resurgam123 Thu 16-May-19 17:45:47

JaneAinsworth has a point. I dont know which media companies run that particularly disgusting show.

Does anyone know how much those

I would be interested to see how a group of the show makers would react to see themselves put through this same sort of process.

It is sadistic and plays on very vulnerable, and poorer people. I have only rarely seen it.

It should have been stopped years ago.

whywhywhy Thu 16-May-19 17:35:50

Good riddance to Jeremy self righteous Kyle!

Notyetagran46 Thu 16-May-19 17:28:46

Amazing that not one gransnetter ever watches the programme despite its popularity.
Not quite as voyeuristic (is that a word?) but I can’t bear to watch all the poor unfortunates who are filmed doing stupid and quite often painful acts on You’re Being Framed

SirChenjin Thu 16-May-19 15:47:01

Granless - is that the article which claims he called the producers up to 300 times asking to be on the show? If so, he sounds like he was already quite vulnerable and perhaps didn't enjoy the best mental health - something which should have raised alarm bells amongst the show's producers.

Granless Thu 16-May-19 10:36:20

Having read the news on my iPad this morning, it seems there was another side to the man who committed suicide. Food for thought ... and no, I didn’t watch JK show.

Ohmother Thu 16-May-19 07:33:32

I have always wondered what professional body Graham belongs to. The Counselling ethics say to work in the best interest of the client. I’m not sure this program did, so why did he stay?

Evie64 Thu 16-May-19 00:05:21

Most definitely it should be axed. What an excuse for a programme. And some people call that entertainment! Good grief!

Eloethan Wed 15-May-19 23:47:25

tidyskatemum I don't think it's right to refer to other people as "low life".

You and 1 million viewers of this programme apparently "enjoy the misery of others", but I don't and lots of other people don't either. You are assuming we are hypocritical because you're judging everybody to be the same as you. I'm not hypocritical. I don't enjoy shows that set up conflict situations or where people are put in terrifying, disgusting or painful situations, and I don't watch them.

janeainsworth Wed 15-May-19 23:46:26

People enjoy the misery of others then turn on the self-righteousness when it goes wrong

Which of the sanctimonious GNers who has said the show should be axed has said they also enjoy the misery of others? Who has been hypocritical?

I don’t understand your post, tidyskatemum.

ayokunmi1 Wed 15-May-19 20:54:11

The host is horride
The guests are vunerable very needy sad people
Some you could see had afdutional needs
I think it was fashioned after that american host his name escapes me
Another horrible programme although the host appeared a tad nicer than all trailer trash programmes

tidyskatemum Wed 15-May-19 20:27:28

How can all you sanctimonious people who have never watched the show be so adamant that it should be cancelled? I occasionally tune in to find it always has the same core of low life, some of whom apparently have been on 2 or 3 times, and in their cases it is simply an exercise in bear-baiting. On the other hand, the show does send people to rehab at vast expense and helps to sort out some really nasty relationships. All the hand-wringing is so symptomatic of current hypocrisy. People enjoy the misery of others then turn on the self-righteousness when it goes wrong.
Just wait and see how many people come out of the woodwork claiming that Jeremy Kyle has destroyed their lives and demand Compensation

annep1 Wed 15-May-19 19:30:09

Dross for the dim and dysfunctional.

Perhaps you could explain this GabriellaG. I'm too dim to understand.
But if I am dim it's not my fault! Some people are born that way.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 15-May-19 18:16:22

I had a really bad time with my gd, as did the rest of the family. Its resulted in her attacking me which was completely unprovoked. It went to court and a day later I had a phone call from a very patronising woman, who called me dear and asked if I would appear on the JK Show to resolve the family feud. I told her there was no family problem, just an aggressive teenager and in no way would I ever appear or watch her awful programme and I certainly wasn't going to give my gc 5 mins of fame. Awful programme.

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 17:28:12

What surprized me most about my aquaintances experience was that it was probably the most popular game show on at that time, and was at its peak, so I wouldnt have thought thst they needed to be so pushy as surely they had lots of hopefuls to chose from.

Maybe it was because this aquaintance met a specification from the producers. She was a "type" for sure? I dont know?

Slowcookervegan Wed 15-May-19 17:16:10

Yes it was a terrible show and im glad its gone

Sara65 Wed 15-May-19 17:11:56

I agree Shirls, I think people are becoming more aggressive and unpleasant

I find at work, that people don’t seem to have any control, they can be abusive, rude, demanding, they use bad language, I could go on!

There of course, lots of lovely friendly kind people out there, but somehow, you always seem to remember the vile ones

felice Wed 15-May-19 17:03:24

HildaW, programmes like The Repair shop are commercial shows. It is filmed at the Weald and Downland Living Museum in West Sussex. Where a barn is temporarily turned into the Repair Shop. The experts are highly paid, not volunteering their services.
A friend is a Guitar restorer and they charge a lot.

Shirls52000 Wed 15-May-19 17:02:36

This is an absolutely odious show which exploits vulnerable people. I have had the misfortune to have seen it a couple of times when I ve had family staying and they have watched it and frankly I couldn’t t believe what I was seeing. This unfortunate loss of life seems to have been an incident waiting to happen and it’s amazing it’s never happened sooner. We live in an increasingly hostile society and it seems it’s time we started being nicer to each other and maybe that could start with the media

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 16:56:38

I know someone who was chosen as a contestant for a non controversial tv game show and they tell a very similar tale:

the show refused to show them contracts in advance, it was all high pressure "get to the hotel then we will explain everything"
My aquaintance questioned how expenses were paid, and pushed for a better answer than "get to the hotel then we will explain everything". They managed to uncover that although they would be whisked to the show's hotel of choice for free, the expenses AT the hotel were not covered.

They suggested they go in their own car, this did not go down well. Told "oh its safer with a driver, people are distracted on their way to be on tv" but my aquaintance suspected that it was a way to make it harder to back out once they were there and faced with a contract.

No to booking own hotel. No to even being told which hotel the car would be taking them to. No to being emailed a copy of the contract to read on the way

It was all very pushy.

My aquaintance backed out but they were hounded about it.

So if that is how tv studios treat people who are going on their non controversial shows, imagine how hard it is for vulnerable JK style guests to back out or question the contracts?

notanan2 Wed 15-May-19 16:47:04

Why do they go in it? 15 minutes of fame I imagine

Reading the accounts of ex contendants, even with a pinch of salt, it appears to not be the case.

What seems to happen is that impulsive people (vulnerable people are often impulsive) ring the show on impulse, or in the heat of a row, and before they have had time to calm down and think it through, or get talked out of it by loved ones, a car is at their door that day and from there they are holed uo in hotels bombarded with contracts.

No cooling off period.

Half of them probably dont mean it when they phone up mid row but then it snowballs fast with no thinking time