Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

63 Up - starts tomorrow evening on ITV

(100 Posts)
seacliff Mon 03-Jun-19 22:17:41

The 9th programme starts tomorrow evening. I find this programme fascinating, and sad in part. It started in 1964 with Michael Apted following a group of children aged 7. He has gone back every 7 years since, and I've managed to see them all.

I wonder if this will be the last as the Director is into his 70s I think.

TerriBull Fri 07-Jun-19 08:03:10

Watched the third and final part last night, it did, as indeed the other two parts, make me feel very emotional, a lot to do with the passage of time and our own mortality and the aging process. Like others have said having watched these people all develop has touched our hearts, their lives playing out for years before phoney reality tv became a spectator sport and the phoniness of all of that, these participants remained true to themselves throughout, often baring their innermost thoughts about love and loss.

So pleased that Paul and Simon (The Barnardo boys) both found happiness with their respective partners and with their quite extensive families around them after such a hard start in life and it was lovely to see them reunited in Australia.

The programme did show how people mellow as they age, calm down, lose their brashness and become more reasonable people, Andrew and John, pretty obnoxious as children, not much better in the teen years and then we find that John has turned into a caring man who is trying to make a difference in Bulgaria where his family emanated from.

Neil the beautiful bright child had sadly lost his spark by 14 and then went on to become a troubled man, he did elaborate as to a difficult relationship with his parents, sorry to hear that his marriage hasn't worked out, but he does at least seem to have found a niche for himself.

I do wonder if Michael Apted will do a 70Up, Nick is sadly so ill and of course Lynne is no longer with us, would we the viewer want to face the inevitable, more deaths I don't know.

I did understand why Susie no longer wanted to take part, it can't be easy having to rake over the past few years of your life, including parental deaths and other painful experiences and put that up for public consumption, they are all very brave. It's really been a wonderful programme.

travelsafar Fri 07-Jun-19 07:34:45

Neil was clearly at a loss about loosing his wife. But what an interesting life he has led. Looking back at the little boy skipping down the road so full of joy and innocencereally touched a heart string. Lovedthe whole series and hope to be around for 70up!!!

Sara65 Fri 07-Jun-19 06:47:25

It seems that age is a great leveller, you couldn’t imagine those little prep school boys having much in common with our little girls, or the orphanage boys. But I think if they were all together now, their differences would be much less obvious

annsixty Fri 07-Jun-19 06:33:16

I found that last nights programme left me feeling very sad.
I can’t really pinpoint why.
Sad for Lyn’s family obviously, but I felt unsettled by it.
I am so glad I didn’t have the dubious honour in taking part myself.
To have ones whole life put on show and dissected by a huge audience every seven years is a very brave/ foolish thing to do.
Sad for Neil that his mental health has shaped his life.
Sad for Nick, he looked so somber looking into his uncertain future.
I thought the number of divorces and remarriage echoed life exactly, if one had been started around the millennium I think by mid thirties most would be divorced, if they had married in the first place.
On the whole they all seemed happy with the way their lives have gone.
The barrister turned out to be a good man , far removed from the pretentious little boy of seven.
As an aside I thought the wives of the very successful men had worn very ,very well, money does count after all.

Ailsa43 Fri 07-Jun-19 00:56:57

I'm so sorry it's over now again. I'm praying we'll all be around to see 70UP, but who knows, just like in the show, so many are suffering or have suffered, physical and mental problems.

I was astonished to learn that Neil had been married, but not surprised because that gorgeous little fun loving little boy can probably be seen deep down within him at times, by those close to him. He did seem to be bereft that she'd left him despite admitting that his true love was a woman he couldn't be with due to distance.

John came as a great surprise to me over the year, he started off as a little precocious 7 year old, and grew to be not the upper class twit I though he might, but instead into a deeply caring man , and a genuinely nice decent man..

I've got to say I was pleased Suzy didn't take part, this time, she was one whom I just couldn't take to at all.. spoilt little upper middle class girl.
However thanks again to John, and all the others, Symon, Paul, Neil, Peter, Tony, Sue, Jackie, Bruce, Andrew, Nick, and the late departed Lynn, thank you all for allowing us to be so much a part of your lives!!

Opalsusanna1 Thu 06-Jun-19 23:40:08

I'm a couple of years younger than the participants so they felt a bit like slightly older cousins that I didn't see very often but I was always interested to find out how they were getting on. I think that Michael Apted has made a wonderful and unique piece of television history that will be remembered for a long time. One of the most important things about it is the way it shows how everyone has their own special story to tell, each one different but each one memorable. Following every person over a period of years has also given the programmes a stature that most reality tv never even thinks about.

Labaik Thu 06-Jun-19 23:35:35

I wonder if Neils problems stemmed from his dislike of his parents? Reminded me of the programme about the three triplets that were split up as an experiment and given to three different families. The one that had mental health problems was the one that had a rather strict [I think] father. Seems better to do without one or other parent than have one that you don't like.

Labaik Thu 06-Jun-19 23:31:44

Did anyone else find the beginning of tonight's programme really confusing? I struggled to work out which boy/man was which and what their back story was.

Nandalot Thu 06-Jun-19 23:24:46

We have always enjoyed the series, but I think I am with Jackie that the girls,boys/men,women were interviewed slightly differently. Yes, when it first began, the move to female equality was only just beginning and the film director would have been of the earlier generation. There were fewer girls in the programme and the voice-over at the end of the first series named each of the boys and then said “There’s Jackie and her friends”.
But there were still elements of this in 63 up. I don’t recall any of the women being asked about Brexit, though most of the men were asked.

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 22:20:28

How engaging they all were and still are!

Such different personalities and it has also made me question that old adage 'Give me a boy until he is seven and I will show you the man'.

Some overcame the adversities of their early lives and made wonderful lives for themselves - Paul and Simon, for instance. Simon giving so much back to other children experiencing difficulties as he did.
Andrew became more down-to-earth, and probably thanks to his wife, Bruce found happiness.

Nick, unwell but still working and inspiring his students.

rafichagran Wed 05-Jun-19 23:08:02

First not 1st.

rafichagran Wed 05-Jun-19 20:59:16

Love this programme. I was 6 when I 1st watched it 62 now, my Mother let me stay up And watch it. I have watched them all ever since.
I liked Tony. East end boy wanted to be a cabbie or a jockey. He done both.

AyjayF Wed 05-Jun-19 18:19:19

How fashions change. When they were 7 they were dressed like little adults. No easy care clothing. No trainers/ leggings/ sweatshirts.

eGJ Wed 05-Jun-19 17:50:32

Don't worry EllanVannin you can watch The Virtues at 10.00pm on Channel 4 +1 Freeview Channel 15!! smile Then you can see them both!!

Pittcity Wed 05-Jun-19 17:43:56

One of the early scenes with Nick had a big radiation warning sign-in centre of shot. Are they suggesting that his nuclear research has something to do with his cancer?

tinaf1 Wed 05-Jun-19 12:58:43

Watched this yesterday and found it very moving especially as most of them were really moved about their parents deaths

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 10:22:02

I was so pleased to see my " little toughie " and how his life is to date. He certainly didn't let the grass grow-----into everything so long as he was working and living a fulfilled life. It was lovely to see how happy he was.
Then sadness with poor Nick. Who'd have thought it ? The idyllic start to life in the Yorkshire countryside, perfect job, looked after himself then to end up in his state of health. Yet you could live up some back street, no prospects and still survive into your 90's, doesn't make sense.
Sue was just brilliant because of her outlook on life and her long engagement which I laughed about.

Tonight's is on at the same time as the final of The Virtues.

Sara65 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:00:42

I thought Nick was courageous, and his wife so beautiful!

I loved Sue, so bubbly and cheerful, and definitely didn’t seem her age

DanniRae Wed 05-Jun-19 09:55:03

I'm another one who has watched it from the start. I really enjoyed the 'catch-up' programme and last night's episode - although some of it made me cry (not difficult however). How brave of Nicholas to appear and speak about his throat cancer. I am so glad that he has such a lovely wife now - but I wasn't sure if he lives here or in the USA? I can't wait for tonight's episode!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:49:39

Such an informative insight to how lives evolve. Laughed, shed a tear and eagerly awaiting the next episode.

Sara65 Wed 05-Jun-19 09:30:38

Sad in parts, but also hopeful

Can’t wait to see next episode

travelsafar Wed 05-Jun-19 09:28:29

Fantastic program, touches all the emotions. Made me laugh, feel sad and shed a tear. Looking forward to the next episode.

BradfordLass72 Wed 05-Jun-19 04:09:12

Nothing specifically to do with 7-Up but over the years I've notice how very many well-balanced happy children (like Neil) seem to become affected by depression and other mental issues at or after adolescence.

It seems to happen such a lot.

I wonder if any research has been done into the effects of hormones on our mental states? If so, why isn't there a remedy?

crazyH Tue 04-Jun-19 23:22:18

Yes Bradfordlass, it was sad hearing him say that....

Ailsa43 Tue 04-Jun-19 23:17:42

I too have watched every episode. The group are all the same age as me, so we could all have been in the same class if we'd attended the same school.., so it's a bit sobering to watch the comparisons between myself and them as ''we'' grew up...

I don't want to make spoilers for people who may be recording it to view all in one show , but as it's already been mentioned about Nick's illness, I will just add, how shocked I am , he seemed as tho' he was the healthiest of the Group tbh, and I'm so sorry for him!!

There's another shock to come yet, but I won't reveal it.. but I'd love to thank those guys and gals who have taken part every year since ''we'' were 7 years old, I feel like they are all my distant friends, and I always look forward to seeing the next episode every 7 years. May all of us still be around to watch 7-70 UP ...