Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Matthew Bourne Romeo and Juliet

(11 Posts)
Atqui Fri 07-Jun-19 18:25:29

Has anyone seen this production? If so what did you think?

PamelaJ1 Fri 07-Jun-19 20:15:10

No, but am going to go with a friend when it comes to Norwich.
I I love his ballets. Hope we won’t be disappointed.

annodomini Fri 07-Jun-19 21:34:55

Going next Thursday in Salford. I've enjoyed his other productions so am looking forward to this one.

baubles Fri 07-Jun-19 21:52:13

There are no Scottish dates and tickets for the nearest English venue were sold out when I tried to book. I’m hoping that the tour is so successful that it will come north next year. I’m a huge Matthew Bourne fan and am so disappointed.

Joelise Fri 07-Jun-19 22:48:28

I have seen Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake several times and loved them both , so I imagine that his Romeo and Juliet would be we worth seeing . I will definitely going to see it when it is shown at my local theatre.

Atqui Sat 08-Jun-19 08:36:33

I ve seen Swan Lake 3 times and a couple of his other productions , but I was disappointed in this one , so keen to know what others think.

eazybee Sat 08-Jun-19 10:31:02

I saw Swan Lake ,on television admittedly, and disliked it intensely; I thought it stilted and contrived, and seemed to be fighting the music, rather than interpreting it differently.

MawBroonsback Sat 08-Jun-19 10:59:20

I saw it last week in Northampton and thought it was stunning!
That said, it is probably not suitable for children as the storyline raises some ugly issues (as did Swan Lake, The Red Shoes and others-MB doesn’t do frilly tutus does he?)
Two of my grandsons have Royal Ballet School lessons and I had hoped it might be inspiring for them, but maybe not. The older ( 8 at the time) loved Swan Lake last year , but it left his brother (7) cold.

goldengirl Sat 08-Jun-19 12:19:57

Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake is the best I've ever seen. I don't like the tutus and tights of 'normal' ballet. That said apart from his Cinderella which had a husband & wife team Adam Cooper and Sarah Wildor in the lead roles [what passion! Phew!] I've been a bit disappointed in the other productions I've seen though I 'd like to see Red Shoes and his latest Romeo and Juliet

Atqui Sat 08-Jun-19 17:53:50

BlueSapphire Tue 11-Jun-19 08:08:49

I also saw it in Northampton last week (same performance as Maw!). Thought it was amazing, but not the Romeo and Juliet we know and love.
The dancing was outstanding, the setting unusual, to say the least, and I did find myself shedding a tear. The live orchestra was excellent.