Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Light Between Oceans

(25 Posts)
Helga5555 Fri 05-Jul-19 14:27:54

this film isperfect

mumofmadboys Mon 17-Jun-19 07:01:17

I watched it on I player last night. Loved it. Read the book a couple of years ago.

Flossieturner Fri 14-Jun-19 08:20:17

I loved the book and thought the film was so true to it.

Littleannie Thu 13-Jun-19 22:31:16

I have just finished watching this on i-player. It is lovely. I got through a lot of tissues.

Jane43 Mon 10-Jun-19 10:38:52

Auntieflo he was in 12 Years A Slave and got a supporting actor Oscar nomination for his role. He does remind me of Ralph Fiennes a bit.

rosecarmel Sun 09-Jun-19 21:38:50

I think he kind of looks like Laurence Olivier..

mosaicwarts Sun 09-Jun-19 20:11:14

thanks Auntieflo, I've been trying to think who he reminded me of, I agree with a young Sting smile

Auntieflo Sun 09-Jun-19 19:59:04

I recorded this last night, and have just finished watching this afternoon. I didn’t know the story, but really enjoyed the film. Even DH, who was reading, stopped and watched, and gave it a ?.
I don’t remember seeing Michael Fassbender in anything else, but he did remind me of someone else, but I’m not sure who. Sting? Burt Lancaster?

rosecarmel Sun 09-Jun-19 19:31:24

Read the book, watched the film, enjoyed both very much-

Sara65 Sun 09-Jun-19 19:00:51

That is true Alexa, it was done very well

Alexa Sun 09-Jun-19 18:42:26

I liked the film better than the book. The film is a medium really suited to portray the symbolism of the scenery.

Sara65 Sun 09-Jun-19 18:07:50

Shysal

Watched Girl on a Train with one of my daughters, we both said that if we hadn’t read the book, we would have found it hard to follow

Didn’t really enjoy it

Jane43 Sun 09-Jun-19 17:35:53

Shysal, no the accents are not American, the main characters anyway. I was so engrossed in the story I didn’t really pay attention to accents. The little girl who played Lucy Grace was captivating. Yes the tissue box needs to be at hand. It moved me so much I found it difficult telling my DH about the story this morning. In fact I couldn’t tell him about the ending at all because I was so emotional.

shysal Sun 09-Jun-19 17:13:10

I am pleased to hear that it is as good as the book. I have recorded it but was not sure whether to watch it in case I was disappointed. Are the accents American? That would not seem right to me. I have also recorded Girl on a Train, but I believe that is not true to the book so am reluctant to view it.

Callistemon Sun 09-Jun-19 17:09:04

I've read the book so perhaps I'll try to find this on iPlayer.

mosaicwarts Sun 09-Jun-19 17:03:25

I've just finished watching the film, no spoilers, but I did need the tissue box! Marvellous!

sassenach512 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:41:49

I loved it. I thought it wasn't going to be up to much at first but found myself staying to the end. What a wild and beautiful island but its amazing a man was expected to stay there for three months at a time, alone and then as a family for three years. I think I'd have gone stir crazy after a month.

Sara65 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:30:20

You’ll enjoy it Jane, I read so many books which all seem the same, I thought this was something different

Jane43 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:18:47

I think I will read the book as well, as you say Sara65 they must have left a lot out. I Like Michael Fassbender very much and I like Rachel Weisz as well.

Sara65 Sun 09-Jun-19 16:11:59

I think you’ll enjoy it, the film can never be as good as the book, because they have to leave so much out, but I think it was done well

Happiyogi Sun 09-Jun-19 16:09:42

Oh I'm glad to hear good reviews for the film. I enjoyed the book and noticed that the film was on last night, but with only a 3* rating. I hesitated, but then decided to record it anyway. Looking forward to it now!

joannapiano Sun 09-Jun-19 16:03:54

I preferred the book, I think. The film was very striking though. I went with my friend to the cinema, and she said she found it very depressing!

Sara65 Sun 09-Jun-19 15:59:54

I read the book a few years ago, and absolutely loved it, quite often the film is a disappointment, not in this case, beautiful and moving, with amazing scenery

mosaicwarts Sun 09-Jun-19 14:48:53

I had to leave it at the point where he saw the woman grieving at the grave, going to watch the rest as my reward when I've chopped down the rest of my shrubs! His eyes do remind me of our ginger cat, so clear smile

Jane43 Sun 09-Jun-19 14:41:30

I’ve heard people talk about this film before and caught it by chance yesterday night. It is now on the BBCiPlayer. It is an incredibly moving film starring Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz.