Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Yesterday new "feel good" film - Richard Curtis/Danny Boyle

(25 Posts)
seacliff Sat 29-Jun-19 22:44:53

I saw this yesterday and loved it, a real "feel good" film. I could easily watch it again. It has lots of great Beatles music and an unusual idea for a story.

It was filmed all around the stunning Suffolk coast, and the Leiston cinema audience were enjoying spotting all the locations, there was a big roar when the Hideout Café at Halesworth appeared, must have been all the staff and customers in the audience!!. Gorleston Beach looked magnificent too. Everyone clapped at the end. Recommended.

Sara65 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:48:31

That’s good to know, my husband and I were talking about it today, i said even if it’s awful, there should be some good music , definitely go and see it now

Thanks for the recommendation

MawBroonsback Sat 29-Jun-19 22:58:37

I saw it this afternoon.
“Yesterday” -what a wonderful feel-good film, it should be available on prescription!
A comfy seat, air con and a glass of something chilled. The perfect way to spend a scorching Saturday afternoon!

BlueBelle Sun 30-Jun-19 05:45:54

I think a lot was filmed with kids from one of our local schools and in my neck of the woods
I wasn’t going to see it as I m afraid I don’t normally like these so called ‘feel good’ films although I did enjoy Fisherman’s friends very much but the others that everyone raves about have so far left me cold

seacliff Sun 30-Jun-19 08:35:13

Yes Bluebelle, the crowd scenes on Gorleston Beach is where the local school children were used. It looked a fun day, wish I'd been there, such a beautiful beach. The band were playing on the balcony/roof of the Pier Hotel, and the aerial shots of the really huge crowd were amazing.

There was also a row of beach huts (not sure if that was Gorleston), and the arcade there.

They showed the Ramsholt Arms, a gorgeous pub opposite side of the Deben from Woodbridge. And Shingle Street, and Halesworth.

If you don't like feel good films, then not for you. I really came out feeling happy and buzzing.

trisher Sun 30-Jun-19 09:15:58

I just wonder how British films which were once cutting edge productions slipped into a nostalgia/feel good genre that relies on the music from 50 years ago. Bring back real dramas like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner or This England.

Harris27 Sun 30-Jun-19 09:31:14

I am going to see this wednesday with my sister. So thanks for the heads up. Can't wait definitely need some feel good vibes at the moment!

MawBroonsback Sun 30-Jun-19 09:35:51

Surely there is room for both Trisher?
How about “I, Daniel Blake” or “They Shall Not Grow Old”?

EllanVannin Sun 30-Jun-19 09:40:08

Saturday night and Sunday morning was on ch81 not that long ago.
Last night the film was There's a girl in my soup, with Peter Sellers and Goldie Hawn ( the ageless actress ! )

Jane10 Sun 30-Jun-19 09:54:37

We need more if these films as a counter to all those superhero ones and general special effects bonanzas that pass for entertainment these days. The last film I enjoyed was Paddington 2!

KatyK Sun 30-Jun-19 10:13:28

Thanks. I'm off to see this today.

Wobbles Sun 30-Jun-19 10:28:31

Beautiful Gorleston beach. A favourite walk with the furry beast.
Looking forward to seeing it in the big screen smile

JackyB Sun 30-Jun-19 14:56:24

The Ramsholt Arms? We used to have a boat moored there and always ended up in the pub after a day's sailing. I've just watched Mark Kermode's review (he loved it but he's an old softie) and am wondering how to get DH to come with me to see it. He is a huge Beatles fan but not sure if he could cope with a whole film in the original English version.

KatyK Sun 30-Jun-19 15:11:56

I've just come back from seeing this with my sister. We loved it.smile

seacliff Sun 30-Jun-19 15:44:20

Jacky we've been there twice this summer. Visitors love it, having a boat on the Deben must have been so lovely, very envious.

We usually have our main course at The Ramsholt Arms, then on down to Bawdsey Quay for a walk along the shell beach. Then coffee and cake at the Yacht club café 1st floor (great views across the river mouth, binoculars supplied.)

I would be happy to go and see that film on my own at my local cinema. It was packed. Hope you persuade him. Glad you enjoyed it KatyK.

KatyK Sun 30-Jun-19 15:47:51

Thank you seacliff We are still not sure why both of us cried when the credits were going up confused I am the world's biggest Beatles fan (in my opinion obviously) but my sister is younger. Lovely film.

seacliff Sun 30-Jun-19 15:57:59

It makes you realise again just how good those songs are. No spoilers but the end was very thought provoking. (filmed at Shingle Street). Himesh Patel was great, apparently he really did sing and play guitar.

I am gong to get my husband to come with me and see it again. Shame you're not near me JackyB.

KatyK Sun 30-Jun-19 16:06:53

Yes he did seacliff He was promoting it on The One Show and other programmes. He sang and played guitar and piano.

BlueBelle Sun 30-Jun-19 20:39:40

There was a Suffolk school used also Seacliffe I don’t go to Gorleston very often although it’s close
Yes I like the Beatles music I think it was that greatest showman film that put me off ‘feel good’ films I don’t like American block busters much either , I do like films with a good deep story something that makes me think and leaves an impression on me

seacliff Sun 30-Jun-19 20:54:34

I agree BlueBelle, The Greatest Showman wasn't very good. This is so much better in my opinion, not least because of the music.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the whole idea of the film is quite novel, and for me, entertaining.

JackyB Sun 14-Jul-19 21:28:32

Yay! We went to see it yesterday (pun intended). I found a screening OmU (that means "Original sound track with subtitles" in German) - so it was perfect!

It really was the Ramsholt Arms! And they actually mentioned Suffolk a few times! Next time I get a chance I shall go to the coast and back to Aldeburgh, Ramsholt and the places of my youth again and walk on the beaches.

Loved the film, too, although DH isn't used to suspending his disbelief, but he is a Beatles fan, so he went with it.

TerriBull Sun 14-Jul-19 21:46:02

I saw it back in the week, nice film, particularly if you like The Beatles. Quite a novel " what if" plot. Suffolk looked good, I don't really know it well. Stayed in Lavenham many years ago.

gulligranny Tue 16-Jul-19 22:25:51

For me it was perfect - a charming leading man, Beatles songs and beautiful Suffolk!

Blinko Wed 17-Jul-19 06:46:48

I loved the lead actor, (lovely voice!), the Suffolk scenery, and the surprise 'guest appearance'. You do need to suspend disbelief, but it's a nostalgic and heartwarming film, imo.

MayBee70 Fri 10-Jul-20 23:40:12

Just watched it on dvd. Loved it: currently re watching it with the commentary on.