Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Judi Dench in Borneo

(53 Posts)
Ellianne Wed 03-Jul-19 06:40:24

Did anyone watch this programme yesterday evening? Apart from the wonderful scenery and interesting facts about the life of the rainforest, this lady is truly amazing! The piece where she went 250 feet up a tree in a harness was a delight.

Callistemon Tue 09-Jul-19 09:55:33

That is not doing her job though
Her job is actor and this was a dream-come-true expedition funded by a tv compsny.
As it was commercial tv I'm not grumbling, but I see yet another celeb (Ranganathan- who? you may ask) has been sent off on jollies to lovely world-wide destinations by the BBC, presumably funded by the money they will save from viewers aged over 75!

I just checked and it says 'Series 1', surely there won't be more?

Bobbysgirl19 Tue 09-Jul-19 09:38:25

Totally agree ‘sluttygran’. Loved it, these type of programs whisk me off to corners of the earth I would never otherwise see. Bring them on!

sluttygran Mon 08-Jul-19 23:59:47

She’s just doing her job and earning her living like most of us do.
She probably earns a better living than the majority, but she’s a talented woman and has always been hard-working.
I thought it was a very enjoyable program, but there’s always the ‘off’ switch for those who disagree.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 20:21:51

I did mention that it was ITV so not funded from the licence fee.

However, she had to take 'experts' with her, so why not just send a well-known expert?

I expect their agents are all jockeying to get the best trips for their elderly clients.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Jul-19 16:55:53

Judi Dench in Borneo is on ITV so funded by their advertising revenue.

There were “experts” with her, explaining the whole eco system.

Surely if a “famous” person highlighting what needs saving and what humans are doing to Planet Earth is a good thing?

The more knowledge the armchair viewing population has beamed into their homes can only make us more aware of the Earths plight and what small steps we can all take in our daily lives to help.

hulahoop Thu 04-Jul-19 16:28:02

Glad other people feel like we do regarding "celebs going on jollies " what a waste of money most of them are . The ones a while back what were doing road trips were rediculous,

hicaz46 Thu 04-Jul-19 16:13:26

I totally agree with calendargirl far too many jollies for ‘celebrities’. Also why send a newsreader across to Lyon to report on the lionesses match when there were several other people already there. Complete wast of BBC money

helenrj Thu 04-Jul-19 14:59:08

I have given up watching these celebrity pensioners off on these jollies topping up their pensions. find them so boring.

Ginny42 Thu 04-Jul-19 14:26:17

I like Simon Reeve too Callistemon. I'd rather watch an expert than a person fronting a programme. Celebrities already have a career, so let someone who is actually involved in the subject tell us about it. I won't be watching JD. It's the crew who are owed the accolades. How do they get some of the amazing shots?

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 14:07:24

MawBroonsback Wed 03-Jul-19 08:24:32
Well summed up MawBroonsback
especially The camera crew are the principal people who should take the credit for what we see, the presenter is just that.

Another good, genuine presenter/cameraman is Gordon Buchanan - he is the real deal!

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 14:04:36

There is no comparison between her and the reality TV stars who make programmes.
She's an actress.
I don't think we are talking about reality TV stars - most are well-known actors and actresses who seem, more and more, to be send off to fascinating places around the world, presumably at great cost so over 75s will now have to fund it all.

I like watching Simon Reeve - but presenting this type of programme is what he does.

b1zzle Thu 04-Jul-19 13:57:49

I thought it was a wonderful programme and I loved the way JD referred to her new partner as 'my chap' !

orly Thu 04-Jul-19 13:35:33

As fascinating as this program was it really annoys me that celebrities are at the centre of such an experience especially when she been bleating on about her macular degeneration (about which I am totally sympathetic). Surely such a show would be better in the hands of a expert like Sir David Attenborough or one of his up and coming protégés.

EthelJ Thu 04-Jul-19 13:08:11

I wouldn't call Judi Dench a celebrity she is much, much more than that. There is no comparison between her and the reality TV stars who make programmes.
I didn't see the programme but it sounds interesting so I will watch it on catch up.

Helga5555 Thu 04-Jul-19 12:54:46

i like her very much

Craftycat Thu 04-Jul-19 11:57:43

She lives not far from here & has no airs & graces at all. Lovely woman who is seen round & about the village. I have seen het at local wildlife centre too. I think her partner had something to do with it.

Horatia Thu 04-Jul-19 11:51:23

It's always the same people. We have the same guests on Countdown over and over. Would like to see some new faces not necessarily younger just different, maybe save a fortune in fees too and enjoy it more.

4allweknow Thu 04-Jul-19 11:47:05

No doubt Dame Judy did everything with style. Didn't see programme. Wonder though how all those celebrities are helping to save the planet with all the polution from flying here and there plus of course all the crew needed.

Liz46 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:17:14

I thought it was a lovely programme and that Judi Dench did very well. She doesn't like the word 'partner' so I am delighted that she now has a 'chap'. They look well suited.

Flossieflyby Thu 04-Jul-19 11:12:03

Love seeing Judi Dench act - but I agree - give young knowledgeable presenters a go. My brother worked in Borneo and I was able to visit and experience the amazing jungle in the 1990's - we had to get special permission from the government even then and go with a guide to ensure we didn't damage the habitat. The humidity was so high and my thin cotton trousers disintegrated - literally on me.
I remember going in the river to cool off and the guide then absentmindedly reminded me that thankfully it wasn't the season for crocodiles downstream ! Got to laugh ! Great memories.

Pollyanna2 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:03:07

I watched the program and found Judy truly inspirational - if she can be that adventurous, so can I!!

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 10:39:10

I'm more Judi In The Jungle than elegant Judi!

merlotgran Thu 04-Jul-19 09:59:29

Except to say that, in my mind, I am always more Joanna Lumley than Judi Dench (until I catch sight of myself).

Same here, Callistemon grin

Judi Dench is too old to be my style icon although I do like her style if you get what I mean.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 09:56:29

Calendargirl I saw that programme too - yes, there was definitely an 'edge' to the jokey comments!
grin

Callistemon Thu 04-Jul-19 09:54:30

I did have a very enjoyable whinge about the BBC sending celebrities on 'jollies', overpaying presenters and at the same time stopping the funding of tv licenses for over 75s, taking poor people to court for non-payment of the fee etc.

Chris Packham, Liz Bonnin et al to be excused as they are serious presenters who know what they're talking about, not actors.

However, this is ITV so perhaps a whinge is not in order and, as I have yet to watch it, I will whinge no more.

Except to say that, in my mind, I am always more Joanna Lumley than Judi Dench (until I catch sight of myself).