Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Hack

(2 Posts)
varian Sun 04-Aug-19 18:54:48

I don't have Netflix, where you can watch the film "The Great Hack" which has been very well reviewed. Has anyone seen it?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAMoPbj3jQE

POGS Sun 04-Aug-19 20:24:00

Yes, I mentioned The Great Hack on the Boris and Cambridge Analytica thread.

"Heavens above we have had copious amounts of threads/posts for years that have raised the point fake news/misinformation/ Russian bots/propaganda links etc. etc. are facts we should all be aware of. It's old news.

I have asked several times if Russia is known to have meddled in the US/French/German etc. etc. elections why have we in the UK not accepted our own UK 2017 General Election would have been an obvious target too. Russia would have every reason to want to try and get a government sympathetic toward Russia. Why not?

As for Facebook /Cambridge Analytica it was the breaking of the story and scale that was the issue. There is a film on NETFLIX called the GREAT HACK I would like to watch.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49085306

It is a fact that ALL parties are ' harvesting ' Information. If you think the party you support is not targeting you if you are a member, on twitter/Facebook etc. you are simply shutting off from reality.

The reason the internet / social media is free is because YOU ARE THEIR SOURCE/ THEIR COMMODITY to produce political propaganda, sell products, whatever and to whom ever.

You are mistaken if you believe the Cambridge Analytica/Vote Leave mix is the only show in town. Your details are held by various politically parties, countries, businesses and they cannot be stopped.

To rage about one incident and not another is futile and lacks understanding of the Big Brother existence we ALL belong to. Yes, the genie is out of the box and out of our control but if we as individuals want to use the technology of the internet how will it ever be stopped."
---

Having now watched the film I stand by my post and it is worth a watch if you have Netflix.

It is a film that combines points raised on the 'various threads ' concerning Cambridge Analytica, harvesting of our details etc. and has a small section showing the Ted talk by CaroleCadwalladr.