Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Portrait Artist of the Year

(19 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 24-Aug-19 19:54:01

I have loved this programme - what a pity it has come to an end. Ha anyone else been hooked on it?

LadyGracie Sat 24-Aug-19 20:00:18

Yes we loved it. Well deserved win we thought.

BBbevan Sat 24-Aug-19 20:46:21

Loved it and an excellent winner. I thought the young girl came pretty forethought . I didn't much like the gimmicky fragmented stuff although the judges did. Things have moved on since I was at art school.

BBbevan Sat 24-Aug-19 20:47:18

Came pretty close . I hate this device grrrr

Avor2 Sat 24-Aug-19 20:47:20

Great programme, well deserved winner xx

crystaltipps Sat 24-Aug-19 20:51:02

The lad with the two faces could draw and paint though, his JazzyB portrait was brilliant. The winner had his signature style too, but perhaps a bit more of an actual portrait artist?

aggie Sat 24-Aug-19 21:07:46

loved this series , really good artists this time

Jane10 Sat 24-Aug-19 21:22:59

Ooh yes. We thoroughly enjoyed it. All the finalists were terrific. That Cleo Laine painting was superb.
Great programme. We'll miss it.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Aug-19 21:26:27

The two faces worked so well on other portraits, but I have to say it felt gimmicky in the final - and a real shame because he certainly did the best likeness, and Jazzy B was brilliant.

But the winner was certainly the best - his portrait of Cleo Lane had everything and was full of character. I wonder if we might get to see how he fares with Tom Jones - I would pay good money not to have to spend time in his company!!

Luckygirl Sat 24-Aug-19 21:26:42

Tom Jones I mean!

annep1 Sat 24-Aug-19 23:00:07

We really enjoyed it and although we thought all three finalists were very good we agreed with the winner. Loved Duncans style.
Great programme.

Labaik Sat 24-Aug-19 23:45:44

Crikey; hadn't realised I'd missed the final [will watch it now on iplayer].

Namsnanny Sun 25-Aug-19 01:55:56

I loved it too! Also thought the winner was well deserved. Such a nice chap too, which doesn't matter but made it all the more rewarding to watch.

The young girl was superb though wasn't she? I'm sure she will go on to bigger and better things.

The young man (sorry I've forgotten all of their names!) who painted the two faces of Jazzy B portrait, was really good, although it took a while to get used to his style.

If you think about it, it's not so unusual because didn't King Charles 1st have a portrait with 3 images of him, left and right profile and face forward?

shysal Sun 25-Aug-19 07:03:32

I am no artist myself but loved this programme. I agreed with the winner, have no idea how his bold colourful angular strokes can form a likeness!
I too hope we get to see the Tom Jones portrait.

Bathsheba Sun 25-Aug-19 08:55:08

Oh this series must have been a repeat - I saw this some months ago, and absolutely loved it.

It's a while now, so I would have struggled to remember all of the entrants without the prompts in this thread, but yes, that Cleo Laine portrait took my breath away. He captured the very essence of her, so much more than just her physical image.

And the young artist with the distinctive style of painting two images in one - I hope he has a successful future, he was so original. I loved his painting of Courtney Pine.

I remember the original series included an episode showing Duncan Shoosmith talking to Tom Jones, making working sketches and so on, ending with the unveiling of the portrait, which was magnificent!

Jane10 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:34:21

I hope that episode is shown. I'd love to see the Tom Jones portrait.
My mum once had a portrait done of herself. It really wasn't very good. Nobody liked to say that though and it hung on the wall with people avoiding looking at it!!

Ohmother Sun 25-Aug-19 11:32:58

I would have loved to have seen Cleo Lane’s reaction to her magnificent portrait. I wonder why they didn’t show it?

Labaik Sun 25-Aug-19 12:30:51

Pity that the young girl didn't do a very good job with her final portrait because the one that took 2 [4?] weeks was superb. I thought that the Tom Jones portrait commission rather clouded the judges decision in that, if I was a gallery wanting a portrait of someone famous would want something quite straightforward, which ruled out the boy. However, in the previous programme I thought the winners portrait, excellent as it was, missed the brief of incorporating music into it, and the saxophone was hardly shown.

paddyann Sun 25-Aug-19 12:49:39

I'm cant draw or paint so watching these programmes gives me some idea of how hard it is to get a good likeness .I didn't think the winner was the right one.I thought the young man with the two faces thing going on was fantastic.His likenesses werespot on and showed character as well as skillful technique.

I saw this when it was first shown too and I wasn't impressed by the Tom Jones portrait .I think it was last years winner who painted Graham Norton and it was a fabulous portrait,if you get a chance to see that series have a look .