Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sanditon

(86 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 26-Aug-19 09:43:37

Any views on Sanditon, the new sexed-up version of the book Jane Austen started but never finished? First episode was last night.

Greyduster Wed 16-Oct-19 10:47:18

I was another who thought that Jane Austin would not only have been turning in her grave, but climbing out of it to throttle the scriptwriter! Thank goodness for Anne
Reid!

Chestnut Tue 15-Oct-19 23:38:11

I think it goes without saying this has been left open for another series, although whether there will be one is debatable. Look at 'Home Fires' where they left us in the heat of the action at the end of series 2. There are so many loose ends that it would have been a complete waste of our time if it stops here.

Jane10 Mon 14-Oct-19 12:24:37

I chucked out the whole Jane Austin thing on the first episode and just looked on it as a costume drama. Not Andrew Davies' best though by a long chalk.
However, in a way, I felt the end was probably very authentic. Marriage was a business in those days. Lots of broken hearts must have been around.
Several loose ends- how about poor Miss Lamb? What was to happen to her? and her boyfriend Otis?
Maybe there's to be a new series? I hope so.

Atqui Mon 14-Oct-19 10:04:19

I so agree newnanny. I was v disappointed. Yes, another series I think. Sidney may even replace my postcard of Ross Poldark!

Sparklefizz Mon 14-Oct-19 09:35:15

MawB The thing is, with "Pride & Prejudice" Andrew Davies had the whole book on which to base his script, but it seems that without the full Jane Austen foundation, he couldn't come up with accurate goods.

Sparklefizz Mon 14-Oct-19 09:33:32

MawB Perhaps like “Dallas” it had all been a dream?
Perhaps Sidney will come back in the shower??????

Sparklefizz Mon 14-Oct-19 09:32:25

The "faults" as I see them - Charlotte's hair blowing loose for much of the time, - the fact that she was a farmer's daughter yet seemed to know all the dances and have all the right clothes and be aware of the strict etiquette - she walked on the cliffs alone with Sidney in the last episode without a chaperone. Plus the actress who played Charlotte couldn't manage to convey any emotions without frowning, squinting or doing weird facial expressions. I didn't rate her.

Some of it reminded me of "Vanity Fair" - the constant theme of money, for example.

But Anne Reid's character was a pleasure.

MawB Mon 14-Oct-19 09:28:40

As the weather was so awful I watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice yesterday afternoon/evening and the contrast between it and silly Sanditon was marked (to say the least!)
Given that Andrew Davies wrote the screenplay for both I had expected better of Sanditon. The language was often out of period as were some of the plot developments. As for the direction- Charlotte was clearly still a child (as she wore her hair down), and the sex on the floor added little to the plot, although the bare bums when the men stripped off to swim in the sea was probably more realistic than Mr Darcy’s wet shirt! My final thought was that there was an air of unreality about the whole thing . Perhaps like “Dallas” it had all been a dream?

Sparklefizz Mon 14-Oct-19 09:26:52

Yes yggdrasil. I had to stop thinking about Jane A and just try and watch it as any old Regency romp .... plus I enjoyed seeing views of Dyrham Park which is my nearest NT property.

yggdrasil Mon 14-Oct-19 09:10:48

I watched to the end, because I couldn't believe how silly it was. Jane would have been turning in her grave!

Sparklefizz Mon 14-Oct-19 09:07:07

I agree travelsafar. I feel Series 2 coming on!

travelsafar Mon 14-Oct-19 08:19:20

Weird ending. I guess we will have another series at some point.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Oct-19 07:58:45

I gave up on it a couple of weeks ago. It seemed very bitty to me.

Calendargirl Mon 14-Oct-19 07:34:47

I kept wondering if in the end she would plump for the young builder who I thought was very sweet. And what about Georgiana, the whole story seemed to be about her at one stage and by the end she was nowhere to be seen. I thought Sidney might marry her to get her money, but that might have been a bit creepy.
Also thought Charlotte was rather too young looking, certainly too feisty for those days and too short. Looked like a child.

newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 00:36:10

I too did enjoy the dancing though.

newnanny Mon 14-Oct-19 00:34:24

Very annoyed at ending. He should have rushed up to Charlotte in her carriage and told her he had found another way to raise the money and proposed to her.

SueDonim Sun 13-Oct-19 23:24:10

Surely there will be a second series? How dreadful to have to look at Sidney again for eight weeks! grin

seacliff Sun 13-Oct-19 22:45:19

I must be the only one who enjoyed it. Forget the Jane Austen tenuous connection. It was just a silly lighthearted but jolly romp.

I was surprised it didn't have a happy ending for Charlotte, there seemed to be a few loose ends. But glad that Babington and Esther finally seemed happy together. I thought Anne Reid was great, I just knew she'd rise again!

Lisagran Sun 13-Oct-19 22:24:07

Sit down Jane10 I’ll get the smelling salts my dear........

Jane10 Sun 13-Oct-19 22:19:49

Well I certainly didn't see that end coming!
She looked about 12 anyway. Far too young and always wandering about with her hair all over the place. No hat most of the time. Shocking!

Calendargirl Sun 13-Oct-19 22:19:29

Just watched the final episode, I thought it improved as the weeks went by. Not a very satisfactory ending, are they planning on another series? Really liked Lord Babington, glad he got the girl in the end.
Kept wondering if Charlotte was ever going back to see her family.
An odd sort of story really.

Lisagran Sun 13-Oct-19 22:16:46

Er, I don’t think that’s how Jane Austen would have ended it! shock

Chestnut Sat 12-Oct-19 22:21:46

I like costume drama but this is only just keeping my attention, though pleasant enough. The costumes and sets are good and it's visually enjoyable. As in Downton, it's the older lady who steals the show with her withering put downs so I enjoy any scene with Lady Denham. I absolutely knew the burnt will would not amount to anything, although I thought there would be another will lodged with her solicitor!

Elrel Sat 12-Oct-19 22:11:51

I did enjoy the cricket match, from a distance it looked so authentic. Not sure how authentic it was for Charlotte to join in however.
Wondering how she’ll choose, both young men are attractive.

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 21:20:10

Jane43 I agree with the you on the characters that you find have any merit.
The dancing was fascinating.Having recently visited Bath, and the assembly rooms, it brought it to life.