Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gone Fishing (series 2)

(21 Posts)
KatyK Sat 31-Aug-19 18:10:36

I think that should be Lough Erne not Loch.

gillybob Sat 31-Aug-19 16:30:23

I think he was joking DanniRae but I do think that Bob is probably more poorly than he is letting on. Did you see the episode in series 1 where he told the story of his proposal ? Hilarious grin

DanniRae Sat 31-Aug-19 16:24:45

Mr R and I both love this programme - we just love the way the two of them get on. It seems that Paul takes care of himself more than Bob when they are home. But I was surprised to hear Bob say that his wife buys unsuitable food for him - but maybe he was joking?

Willynilly Sat 31-Aug-19 14:29:45

I look forward to it KatyK, thank you.

KatyK Sat 31-Aug-19 13:26:35

Last night's was lovely too with the stunning scenery of Loch Erne and surrounding area.

Willynilly Fri 30-Aug-19 21:59:40

Just watched another episode. It had Paul's mother singing opera at the end. Beautiful and quite emotional.

Jane10 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:24:45

I love this programme too. The scenery, the banter and the music is just lovely. Bob and Paul are very entertaining in an unforced way. They must be old friends. Nice to see.

POGS Fri 30-Aug-19 11:24:21

It sounds peculiar to say a program called ' Gone Fishing' is not so much about fishing but is as much about the comradery between two old friends who share time together having both had severe health scares, the focus behind the show.

After all they hardly catch a multitude of fish, Mortimer is happy to just get wet, do a bit of cooking and have a chat. Nowt wrong in that.

I enjoy watching the two of them sharing banter, giving each each other friendly stick and I would love to be sat on the river bank with them, they are right up my street as they say.

I understand the slow pace is not everybody's cup of tea, it would not be of interest to those who think it is about fishing but it does have a certain charm about it.

Willynilly Fri 30-Aug-19 11:14:59

I've come late to the series, but fully intend to watch the lot. You're right, it's all about the friendship.

KatyK Fri 30-Aug-19 10:07:33

Love not live

KatyK Fri 30-Aug-19 10:06:28

We have a canal at the back of our house and there are people fishing there most days. My DH always says that he can't imagine anything more boring but we live this series. It's not about the fishing for us, it's about the friendship and comararderie between the two men. It's lovely.

Beechnut Fri 30-Aug-19 09:06:26

I like it for the same reasons as you gillybob.

gillybob Fri 30-Aug-19 09:02:16

DH and I play name that tune Auntieflo as the music is almost always pieces from famous songs . Sadly I think Bob Mortimer is probably much more poorly than he lets on . I agree they seem to be the best of friends and irritate the hell out of each other . smile

Auntieflo Fri 30-Aug-19 08:59:19

I am another who loves this programme.
I have never fished, but DH and I enjoy the gentle humour between the two friends.
The scenery can be stunning and sometimes the background music is also lovely.

Willynilly Fri 30-Aug-19 08:41:33

Glad I'm not the only one gillybob smile

gillybob Fri 30-Aug-19 08:16:08

No real hurt involved Bluebelle every hook is carefully removed and the fish are sent on their merry ways.

gillybob Fri 30-Aug-19 08:15:16

I love this series Willynilly and have followed both series 1 and 2. I’m not really into fishing but I just love the chit chat and banter between them. Talking as they do about their heart surgeries and poking fun at each other as they fish in the most beautiful places. What’s not to love? It’s one of my most favourite programs on TV at the moment. smile

BlueBelle Fri 30-Aug-19 08:13:00

Fishing makes me squirm of course if you are living in a country with not much food it’s a wonderful thing but as a sport it makes me cringe how can it be a sport to hurt something

Willynilly Fri 30-Aug-19 08:10:38

Oh dear Merlot, but I suspect many anglers would dislike it as there's not much about fishing itself, more musings of older blokes coping with illness and life in general. I must admit I'm hooked smile

merlotgran Thu 29-Aug-19 22:38:10

DH is a keen angler and absolutely hates it so although he gave the second series a chance he is now giving it a miss.

I don't think he cares who he is, where he is or how he got there though. grin

Willynilly Thu 29-Aug-19 22:12:21

I'm not into fishing boring in the extreme but this series (I've not watched series 1), is so much more than casting and salmon! It's about understanding who you are, where you are and how you got there. Wonderful, thought provoking and well worth watching. Well done Whitehorse and Mortimer.