Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mrs Lowrie and Son

(11 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 21-Sep-19 06:46:18

grannydarkhair I agree with all you say I loved it and went to the cinema on my own with the expectation of hating it I even didn’t sit in the middle of the row so I could creep out as Mr Turner was so dire and upmost in my mind and put me off so much that I nearly didn’t bother going
They both acted beautifully and there was such a lot of atmosphere and you could almost taste the oppression and depression in the room
What a sad sad life that man had although he took it all as normal he believed himself to be worthless as he’d been told it all his life but he wasn’t a sad man I must read up about his childhood
A brilliant artist, not a photographic artist, a truly ‘feeling’ artist
Totally recommend this film

grannydarkhair Mon 09-Sep-19 13:36:07

I saw Mrs Lowry & Son last week and thought it was superb. Both Timothy Spall and Vanessa Redgrave acted "their socks off". It's extremely moving in parts, the scenes where Lowry was interacting with the children I found especially poignant. He never married or had children, and one has to think that his own upbringing was a huge influence in that. There is a permanent exhibition of some of his works in the Lowry Centre at Salford. I saw it a few years back and was amazed at the different styles that he painted in, having only been aware of his "matchstick men" paintings before. It led me to read up on Lowry and found that his childhood was not at all a happy one.
I also saw Turner and like others above, did not enjoy it. I found it to be far too long amongst other issues, and just kept wishing it would end. I would have left, but was sitting in the middle of a row and didn't want to disturb anyone. Mrs Lowry, on the other hand, was too short and I didn't want it to end. There is a short film that shows immediately after the main film; this is Tim Spall and the curator of the Lowry collection in Salford discussing some of the works. It's also very enjoyable and gives you a wee sight of some of his non-matchstick men works.
Mrs L is the first film I've seen Tim Spall in since he lost a lot of weight and he truly is a different man. When one thinks back to "Barry" in "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet", who would have imagined him ever portraying two of the UK's greatest artists?
One last point; there is a scene where Mrs Lowry is out of her bed and soaking her feet in a basin on the floor, it's stunningly beautiful, Redgrave looks like she's been carved from marble.

Tangerine Thu 05-Sep-19 22:41:22

I think it was much better than Mr. Turner.

I loved the film. They acted so well.

Lowry is one of my favourite painters so the subject of the film interested me from the start.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Sep-19 21:05:17

I went to see Mrs Lowrie & Son this week and I'm not at all sure if I liked it or not! It was a very slow film and even right up to the end, I was waiting for it to "get going". Mrs Lowrie was indeed a nightmare of a woman, if the film gives an accurate depiction of her.

It just all seemed a bit lack lustre. Sorry folks!

BlueBelle Thu 05-Sep-19 20:59:03

I was just going to say the same chelsea Mr Turner was dire I went with three others we all wanted to walk out but didn’t realise till afterwards that we all felt the same...one of us ( not me) had a lovely nap though
It really put me off but I will give it a try next week, watch this space if he’s as bad as Lowry as he was at Turner I ll never watch his films again ?

chelseababy Thu 05-Sep-19 18:13:20

Hope it's better than Mr Turner - couldn't get in to that.

KatyK Thu 05-Sep-19 17:55:49

Me too. It was slated in the press so I wasn't going to bother but now I might.

Greenfinch Thu 05-Sep-19 16:24:56

Me too.

Jane43 Thu 05-Sep-19 15:36:51

Yes I really want to see this film.

seacliff Thu 05-Sep-19 11:40:58

Oh, looking forward to seeing that film.

annodomini Thu 05-Sep-19 11:19:53

The film about the relationship between the painter, LS Lowrie and his mother was premiered last week in Salford and has gone on release this week. Stellar performances by Vanessa Redgrave as mother and Tim Spall as Lowrie might earn BAFA nominations. In my opinion they would be well deserved.