Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downtown Abbey

(22 Posts)
SisterAct Tue 10-Sep-19 09:05:33

Am I the only person who has never watched it ?

Is it worth me doing so?

tanith Tue 10-Sep-19 09:08:50

I’ve watched all of it and plan on seeing the film too.

Give it a go if you like period drama.

Sara65 Tue 10-Sep-19 09:19:46

Definitely worth a viewing

SirChenjin Tue 10-Sep-19 09:27:36

It's brilliant if you like period dramas. It doesn't pretend to be anything it's not - it's light entertainment with fabulous costumes and wonderful scenary. I love it.

aggie Tue 10-Sep-19 09:29:37

I only watched the first few episodes and got bored with it

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 10:17:14

Usually the films aren't as good as the TV series itself, but not having seen the film I can't really pass judgement.

glammanana Tue 10-Sep-19 10:26:35

Nothing gets done in this household when Downton is on at 5/6pm the ACs all know not to dare phone me during that time,I missed some of the series the first time it was shown so am enjoying this re-run.
I am off on Friday to see the film on its release day the 13th I am going on my own so no one to interupt me during screening its my birthday that day so its my present to myself.

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 10:35:14

Oh heck Glamm, I hope I haven't put you off your film.Is it at the local cinema or the " posh " one with reclining armchairs ?

Daisymae Tue 10-Sep-19 10:37:01

Love it, watched almost every episode and going to see the film. If you have managed to avoid it so far it's probably not your cup of tea!

goldengirl Tue 10-Sep-19 11:16:30

I've seen parts of the odd episode but I'm afraid it didn't grab me at all. A lot of hype if you ask me!

sodapop Tue 10-Sep-19 11:44:51

I agree with SirChenjin excellent light entertainment.

glammanana Tue 10-Sep-19 13:50:45

EV Its at the local one in New Brighton I don't know if they have the "posh seats* or not as I've never been to that one before their web page says all seats are superior so they should be OK,if they are not the subject will certainly be addressed.hmm

Blinko Tue 10-Sep-19 13:57:46

Loved the tv series and can't wait for the film! I just hope it's worth the wait.

Sussexborn Tue 10-Sep-19 14:14:01

Looking forward to seeing the film. The cast are excellent and the costumes and settings are beautifully done. They don’t ignore the plight of the servants either.

Interesting to see how life for women evolved as they started to realise how unjustly they were being treated.

I read all the Poldark books when they first came out but found the TV series dull!

Probably doesn’t help that since OH retired he sits rustling the newspaper and enlightening me about cricket scores, motor racing, rugby and football which does rather spoil the moment.

Pudding123 Tue 10-Sep-19 14:19:00

I too love the series on ITV 3 and down tools to watch it as I didn't get chance the first time round,it is pure escapism..lovely.I would like to see it at the Cinema but as nobody I know feels the same think I will have to go on my own.

NanKate Tue 10-Sep-19 14:40:46

Maggie Smith alone is worth the watch, she’s brilliant.

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Sep-19 15:52:31

We never watched it when it was on TV but eventually bought the entire DVD Box Set of all 6 series .
We loved it so much we binge watched it almost exclusively day after day with the exception of the news .....

Witzend Tue 10-Sep-19 17:24:23

We watched about 6 episodes after it was out on DVD. Didn't bother with any more.
TBH I found the plot devices very cliched and predictable - I could almost see them coming. I thought it was very cynically written to appeal to popular foreign (probably particularly American) stereotypes of the British upper crust, so that it would sell very well abroad and make the author loads of money.
Having said that, Maggie Smith was a triumph, as always, whatever she's in.

Hm999 Tue 10-Sep-19 18:27:12

No SisterAct, I've never seen it either, which is strange as Gosford Park (Julian Fellowes first foray into period drama?) is probably my favourite film.

jeanie99 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:05:37

It's like most things to start with it's got to be the type of film or series you might enjoy.
I wouldn't watch horror, war, musicals, westerns not my sort of thing at all.
Then it's the quality of the acting, period drama is something I would watch BUT if the acting is terrible I wouldn't continue watching the series.
I am watching a re run of Downton at the moment and I enjoy it, would like to see the film.
Like most things it doesn't appeal to everyone.
We have such a good choice of drama series on the TV now we are spoilt for choice.

love0c Thu 12-Sep-19 09:29:10

I loved it! I missed it the first time round so when it was repeated one Christmas, being on for three hours each consecutive days, I watched it. Completely hooked!!! When the next series came on I enjoyed it just as much. Can't wait to see the film.

Willow500 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:52:04

Yes loved all the series and also wanting to see the film. My DIL worked on the first series and used to travel to Highclere every day so I'm sure she will want to see the film when she comes over at Christmas so we'll probably wait until then.