Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Hooray - Doc Martin's back next week

(53 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:34:53

That's all really. I'm so looking forward to this pleasant escapism.

Greyduster Thu 26-Sep-19 09:09:14

I find it quite engaging, but I can’t bear the loopy policeman! He gets on my nerves.

Charleygirl5 Thu 26-Sep-19 09:12:43

Not a programme I have ever enjoyed but each to his own.

Gonegirl Thu 26-Sep-19 09:18:23

I think this series might be going to be better than the previous ones.

Anja Thu 26-Sep-19 09:18:32

I’ve been scratching my head wondering where I knew the murderer from The Confession (brilliant drama based on a true story) and there he was on Doc Martin in a very different role.

Mystery solved.

lemongrove Thu 26-Sep-19 11:22:09

Yes Anja me too, and what a different role!
Also the boyfriend Kev in The Confession is from This Country ( comedy documentary) Kurtin ( Charlie Cooper).

I love Doc Martin, great characters and scenery, nothing to dislike in any of it.?

libra10 Thu 26-Sep-19 11:26:54

I watched last evening's episode, and thought it excellent. I was laughing and giggling all through.

Acting superb from all characters, very funny story, and superb scenery.

What more can you ask!

seacliff Thu 26-Sep-19 16:46:27

I agree totally libra10.

I have just watched last nights programme and thought it was fantastic, one of the best episodes ever. I was laughing out loud, just so funny. DH came in to see if I was alright. Best laugh I've had in a while.

I'm going to keep that and rewatch one miserable grey day. Laughter certainly is the best medicine.

sodapop Thu 26-Sep-19 17:01:28

Yes definitely a good episode last night, all the usual characters appearing again like old friends. I love the scruffy little dog too.

Ellianne Thu 26-Sep-19 17:08:41

Yes. Definitely not left disappointed by this latest series! Last night's episode was funny and down to earth. Love the scenery too.

travelsafar Fri 27-Sep-19 08:02:04

Loved the piece in the Lighthouse, was laughing out loud and DH came to see what was going on, had to rewind so he could watch it too. Love it.

Luckygirl Fri 27-Sep-19 09:20:05

It's great isn't it - complete rubbish of course - but just great!

How many more near-death crises can they make up for the dear doc to save the day!

katie1 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:15:23

I love watching Doc Martin, it's such a great feel-good programme with the beautiful setting. I think Martin Clunes is a good actor when you consider what he was like in Men behaving badly and other drama/ comedies he has been in. I think it goes against his grain to be stern and grumpy? That is acting isn't it? I look forward to each episode and really want him to show Louisa how much he loves her.

AllotmentLil Tue 08-Oct-19 22:08:24

I’m just glad Joe Absolom is back to being likeable. He was brilliant in A Confession playing the murderer Christopher Halliwell but he terrified me.

travelsafar Wed 09-Oct-19 08:56:11

I agreeAllotmentLil the two difffernt roles show what a great actor he is.

Jane10 Thu 14-Nov-19 21:08:12

So sorry the series has ended. Just 'Martin' now. ?
Fingers crossed there'll be a series 10.

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 21:40:00

Yes, it was left on rather a cliffhanger - surely they'll be back.

I want Joe to find love too.

LullyDully Fri 15-Nov-19 07:38:43

We were watching a film on Talking Pictures the other night. Martin 's father was the murderer. He was Alex Clunes and died when his son was a boy. They looked very similar.

sodapop Fri 15-Nov-19 08:40:05

I think I read somewhere there will be another series Jane10 I hope so.

Alexa Fri 15-Nov-19 08:55:20

However can Doc Martin be a practising GP after he resigned?

My guess is next series he will be retraining as a vet. He can be as rude as he ;likes to dogs and they will still love him.

Jane10 Fri 15-Nov-19 09:06:32

Good point Alexa!

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 10:20:18

Good idea Alexa
Buddy adores him grin

Chestnut Fri 15-Nov-19 10:34:44

I can't believe he will not continue as a doctor. The residents will start a campaign or something. He has many faults but is an outstanding doctor, always gives an accurate diagnosis on the spot!

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 10:40:20

And he does scans, minor surgery etc!
The residents don't have to wait for 5+ weeks for an appointment either as we do in Wales.

I was thinking of moving to Portwenn

Ellianne Fri 15-Nov-19 11:14:39

I think they will all want him to come back too Chestnut. At least he provides continuity of care and is prepared to do home visits at the drop of a hat.
I had an uncle who was a gp in a similar setting and who was quite rude to patients, particularly when he told them they were overweight. They were devastated when he retired though.

suzette1613 Sat 16-Nov-19 06:43:22

Hurrah! Love Doc Martin.
My cousin was a village GP and behaved just like DM, his patients loved him though.